Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

bad day at the dunes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad day at the dunes

so i got my first quad and after a few months of getting used to it i took her to the dunes, well i guess it was some sort of race quad before cuz it had holes drilled in the bottom of the air filter box (im assuming for better air flow), along with a POS air filter.

well needless to say that didnt go over too well at the dunes and there were gobs of sand in my carb. well i cleaned it all out and drained the oil and flushed out the engine and stuff and it runs good when you first start her up, but after a few minutes it has problems idling and stalling. it back fires and the last time i tried running it it didnt seem to have much power

i noticed i never see the cooling fan on and need to check to make sure it still works, but does anybody think thats just it? when i drained the oil i didnt see sand in it or anything and so im not sure if i got it in the engine and tearing the entire engine down is the last thing i want to do...

advice desperately needed

Old 07-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>well needless to say that didnt go over too well at the dunes and there were gobs of sand in my carb. well i cleaned it all out </end quote></div>
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>when i drained the oil i didnt see sand in it or anything and so im not sure if i got it in the engine </end quote></div>
I think you already know the answer.
You saw "gobs of sand in your carb". Where do you think all that sand went too? It didn't try to run back to the aircleaner!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

People always argue about oil types and brands and all of that. I'm here to say the single most important thing to check and make sure is right, is the aircleaner!!! I've seen brand new engines turned to junk in a matter of an hour or so with a breached aircleaner.

To make 100% sure, take a leakdown or compression test of the engine. Your not going to like what you find though. Sorry.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

you told me what im still too stubborn to admit, but why would it run good when i first start it up?

Old 07-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

steviedude2468 I could be wrong about this. But I have seen this more than once.
When engines are cold, clearances are tight............or I should say tighter. Then the metal gets hot things grow and things loosen up.
The only real way to see waht is up is do a leakdown or compression. This will tell the story and all the guessing will be gone.
I hope I'm wrong. Good luck.