Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Buddy's been told his Prarie 650 needs a CVT sensor turned off by dealer???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy's been told his Prarie 650 needs a CVT sensor turned off by dealer???

His bike will only idle,100 hrs exactly on his 2003-ish (not sure) prarie 650. Not sure who told him, but hes under the impression its a CVT sensor that the dealer must turn off before it'll get back to normal.

any truth to this? hes pissed his bike wont go....and it did it at 100 hrs EXACTLY

thanks

jason

Old 07-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Buddy's been told his Prarie 650 needs a CVT sensor turned off by dealer???

I don't know about the Prairie but when my belt light came on it didn't effect anything. With a V-Force you can switch the black and gray connectors to reset the belt light. I would think the Prairie should be no different.

Here is a quote post I dug up with the procedure for the V-Force

"Buddy of mine that works at a kawie dealer told me how to turn the light off on the v-force. under the seat is a black connector and a grey, turn the key off switch the two conn. then turn the key on for 5 secs and wait for the light to flash then turn the key off and reconnect black to black and grey to gey then the light should go off, if not repeat the steps"

Old 07-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Pro Rider

Could be the Prairie went into limp mode. If so then I do believe it will need to be reset. Will the bike move at all? In limp mode it should still be able to move and have power up to around 8mph or so, it'll run like crap but it should still run somewhat...

On this link, post #7 has instructions on how to reset the light if that is fact what it is...and it does happen at 100hrs, some go into limp mode and others simply flash the belt light...it's so that ppl get the belt inspected @100hrs to make sure its still ok.

http://www.paatving.com/forums...x.php?showtopic=15009

Hope this helps...

Old 08-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do the Belt lite re-set as Krait Stated, your problem will be fixed.
The Prarie 650s do go into limp mode @ 100hrs.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bfb750BF

The Prarie 650s do go into limp mode @ 100hrs.</end quote></div>

That's NOT true. At 100 hrs, the belt light will turn on "steady" but it does not go into the limp home mode. The 100 hour light is just a reminder to check the CVT/belt. There is an internal clock in the ECU that count engine hours and at every 100th hour the "steady" belt light will come on as for reminder. It's like the engine oil change maintenance reminder light on some Japanese and German cars. The maintenance light does not make vehicles to go into limp home mode. Think about it.

However, the belt light "flashing" can happen at ANYTIME regardless of engine hour. There is toggle switch inside the belt cover, and when the worn out or broken belt hits the toggle switch, the quad goes into the limp home mode.

The belt light resetting procedure is same for the above both cases - except you don't have to reset the toggle switch for the "steady" belt light case (since the timer triggers the light on).

Old 08-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hayashi

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bfb750BF

The Prarie 650s do go into limp mode @ 100hrs.</end quote></div>

That's NOT true. At 100 hrs, the belt light will turn on "steady" but it does not go into the limp home mode. The 100 hour light is just a reminder to check the CVT/belt. There is an internal clock in the ECU that count engine hours and at every 100th hour the "steady" belt light will come on as for reminder. It's like the engine oil change maintenance reminder light on some Japanese and German cars. The maintenance light does not make vehicles to go into limp home mode. Think about it.

The belt light resetting procedure is same for the above both cases - except you don't have to reset the toggle switch for the "steady" belt light case (since the timer triggers the light on).</end quote></div>

True on the BF i's.
BUT when my '03 P650 hit the magic 100 hrs, at 103 hrs my 650 went into the limp mode until I did the reset. I was surprized that my '05BF750 didn't go into the limp mode when the belt lite came on at the 107 hr mark.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

Well more info from the OP would help, but he stated that the quad won't go. So I would assume that it went into limp mode. But it could just be the light as you said Hayashi. Either way not a huge deal to worry about. Check/replace the belt as needed, reset the light, reset the switch if needed, good to go.

I think my link still applies...

Trending Topics

Old 08-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Range Rover

my prairie 650 went into limp mode around 100 miles fixed that problem by buying a dyna cdi but do the reset he should be all set I did it so I can ride untill my dyna came in.