Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KFX 400

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX 400

my friend recently bought a 2006 kfx400. when he runs it his fan does not kick on and it overheats. any ideas

Old 09-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default KFX 400

my buddy has one and it doesnt kick on as super often but i think there is a fuse behind the fan some where or under the seat (i dont own the quad so idk where the fuse is) but it probably just burnt the old fuse out and needs a new one also id run some good oil in it just incase the fan doesnt run often like my friends

Old 09-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default KFX 400

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MXmadness577
but i think there is a fuse behind the fan some where or under the seat (i dont own the quad so idk where the fuse is) but it probably just burnt the old fuse out and needs a new one</end quote></div>

No, there is no fuse just for the fan. There is one main 20 amp fuse that shuts off everything on the quad. If that fuse is blown, engine would not even start.

There is a thermo-swtich that activates the fan when the coolant temp reaches somewhere around 190-200 F. Possibilities are:
&gt; Faulty fan.
&gt; Faulty thermo switch
&gt; Faulty wiring
&gt; Clogged coolant passage in the left side clutch cover due to corrosion - hot coolant never reaches the thermo switch and the fan never gets turned on.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default KFX 400

ok sorry i didnt know how many fuses it ran off is the wiring good? not split any where or anything?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:04 PM
TJ2
Weekend Warrior
Default KFX 400

THERE IS A FUSE JUST FOR THE FAN. If you look under the right front fender you will see wires hanging from a metal hanger. They are on the seat side, not the front side of the radiator. Just pull down and the harness slides right off. There should be a spare fuse already there. If you open up the harness you will see the blown fuse. Just replace that fuse and the fan will work again. If you have an owners manual I THINK it shows you in there. If you need a picture I will try to get you one but it is simple.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KFX 400

What kind of conditions is the engine overheating in?

My fan only comes on in the deep/slow woods.... if I'm in the open and moving at a speed anything above 2nd gear it never comes on.... but I also run Engine Ice coolant which is really good stuff......

If it is a 2006 and he just got it, I would make SURE that the recall was done and the magnesium side cover has been switched over the aluminum. I would pull that cover off and made certain that the path where the coolant runs through that case is not blocked with crystals.

Those engines do not often overheat, even if the fan is not coming on they cool down pretty quick as long as the coolant is flowing....