Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kvf 400

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kvf 400

hey there just looking for some help.
i have 2000 kvf 400 4x4. only 450 miles on it. i melted the rings on the piston due to running to hot.
I always had to run it with the choke on. i replaced the piston rings and wrist pin.
put it back together, belive i timed it properly. but it is still running hot. i hit the gas and it back fires, and the idle screw is set at spec but it still idles high even without the choke on. i dont want to replace the piston again so any ideas will help alot.
thanks suzu

Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kvf 400

hey jw if i am doing something wrong. i got 16 views but no responces. could really use some help.
thanks suzu

Old 02-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Kvf 400

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> i melted the rings on the piston due to running to hot. I always had to run it with the choke on. i replaced the piston rings and wrist pin.
put it back together, belive i timed it properly. but it is still running hot. i hit the gas and it back fires, and the idle screw is set at spec but it still idles high even without the choke on. i dont want to replace the piston again so any ideas will help alot. </end quote></div>

Melting rings on the piston indicates running lean on the main jet.
Back fireing when you hit the gas indicates lean on the main jet.
If your idle screw is set to spec and the engine still idles high that means you have an air leak somewhere which can cause a lean condition.

Solution: Look for an air leak with something like WD-40. Spray it around the carb and intake boot with the engine running. When you hit the air leak the engine will rev.

Also; jet the thing up................WAY UP..........if you don't find the air leak.