Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

300 Bayou oil leak at rear driveshaft again

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300 Bayou oil leak at rear driveshaft again

I replaced the seal where the driveshaft goes into the engine. It has only been ridden a couple of times and is leaking again. Engine oil is going into the rear diff. It has flooded the diff and is in the rear brake drum. Could there be a return hole plugged and not letting the oil return to the sump? Also the right side engine cover was removed shortly before this problem started, I was wondering if there could be any connections. Could the seal around the output shaft on the engine be bad and flooding the seal that i replaced? Thanks for any help!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer
Default 300 bayou oil leak

What color is the oil in the rear axle? most of the time the oil in the diff gets contaminated from worn out seal and bearings on the brake side, I have just done the same on my bayou. I have the kawi service manual I'll look through it and get back to you.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Range Rover

I am sure it is engine oil going into the rear diff. Is there any way oil could be running down the splined output shaft into the cv joint on the driveshaft. Inside the cv joint there is a round plug that is loose. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

This will sound stupid but it was my problem. I have a 92 Bayou and oil kept getting into the Boot so I thought it must be the seal so I put a new seal in. The problem was that the inner portion of the drive axle had worn through. Oil was not coming by the seal it was coming through the hole in the shaft. New shaft no oil leak.

Hope it helps

Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Range Rover

Thanks nmhuntr
You are talking about a hole inside the cv joint on the driveshaft, right? I think that is my problem.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Sisco1957
Thanks nmhuntr
You are talking about a hole inside the cv joint on the driveshaft, right? I think that is my problem.
That is correct. The shaft slides into the gear box. The seal keeps oil from coming around the shaft but if a hole has worn in the midded then oil willl come right through it. I kept thinking it was my seal until I took it to a dealer and he saw it. I an not certian if this will allow it into the rearend but I know the upper boot will fill up.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Trailblazer
Default Oil leak again

The oil seal around the output shaft could cause the leak for sure. You would also want to check the backlash and side play of the output shaft. Looking at the service manual pics I have been unable to see the plug you are looking at. It sure looks like a good place to start. You mentioned the oil was leaking out of the axle and into the brake drum the seal there may also be gone. The bearing kit for that is from ( All *****, bearing & components) part #25-1275 web site GOallballs.com Good luck on the repair!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Range Rover

Thanks again nmhuntr and mudfinder
I removed the cv joint and managed to get the ***** and cage out. Inside the cv housing is a freeze plug type plug. It has a hole worn in it and is letting oil travel down the splines into the joint and on down the driveshaft. A new shaft is almost $400.00 so I may see if a car freeze plug will work. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

look for a used on on ebay.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:20 AM
Trailblazer
Default drive shaft plug

If you run out of options for a used drive shaft or a new plug, a jobbing shop ( machine shop) could make a plug for you. The cost won't be any where near the cost of a replacement.

Quick Reply: 300 Bayou oil leak at rear driveshaft again