Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

my first atv

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first atv

i am buying a 2001 lakota from a local cycle shop it has new top end rear brakes and a few other small items put on new i havent picked it up as we are waiting for new filter to carb boot from dealer is there any known issues i need to watch for it is a 300 lakota

Old 01-17-2010, 12:49 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

The Lakota is a 300cc version of the 250 Mojave sport model, but with racks, electric start and an auto clutch...I can't remember if it was converted over to a shaft or if it uses a chain drive. It's neither a speed demon or work horse, but you shouldn't have too many issues with it, as Kawasaki made a lot of the Mojaves.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

we are just looking to do some trail riding. i am getting out of racing so when i sell my modified i will be looking for a second four wheeler for me or my wife. it is chain drive it has had some aftermarket parts put on it like shocks, exhaust, top end only has ten minutes on it. he just finished it when i got there he said bottom was tight. new timing chain, new battery new brakes and some other small items. i am talking to a couple guys on a secound four wheeler just trying to find the best deal . im looking to trade my modified. thanks for reply

Old 01-30-2010, 01:14 AM
Range Rover

i just posted my thoughts .. carb kit, air filter, and go ride .. i have 5 of them .. LOVE THEM, ride them well, check the oil, great bikes, in my opinion

Last edited by jeffeosso; 01-30-2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: asas
Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TexasRoadlawyer
The Lakota is a 300cc version of the 250 Mojave sport model
Not quite.
Facts are:

Mojave has a watercooled 4-valve engine with 100% manual trans.

Lakota has a aircooled 2-valve engine with semi-auto trans. It is rather closer to Kawi's Bayou with the exact same 290 cc engine and trans.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:49 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

Get a life, Hayashi...really. Are the majority of your posts from nit-picking facts?

Version (noun): a particular form or variant of something

Dodge puts in a 5.7 hemi and calls it the R/T, and puts in a 6.1 hemi and calls it the SRT...they're both still VERSIONS of a Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum.

Despite the different engine (and thus being a 300cc version) the Mojave and Lakota originally shared the same frame and body panels, lights (on the Sport VERSIONS), brake pads, shocks, etc.

Am really interested to hear what you think the difference is between "auto clutch" and "semi-auto trans"...or did you just miss reading that in your hurry to point out 4 versus 2 valves?

Since we're being factually correct, isn't the Mojave "LIQUID cooled" as opposed to "WATER cooled"?

Yeah Dude...it's a 300cc version of the Mojave

Take a look:

Lakota Sport images Kawasaki Lakota Sport 300
Mojave image http://www.thetopbikes.com/Images/K/...i-Mojave-4.jpg

Same Plastic: NEW KAWASAKI REAR FENDER MOJAVE LAKOTA ALL YEARS BLUE on eBay!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Range Rover

One of the few times that hayashi is incorrect..
the lakota has a different jug AND head than a pararie or mojave or bayou .. its the same DISPLACEMENT as the bayou, but NOT NOT NOT the same motor.

Mojave uses the same skins as the lakota .. and the ONLY differences in the lokota vs sport is the racks and light arraingment.. you CAN have three lights on a non-sport .. or, if you are like me, you redo a sport with racks, as they are darn useful.