Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Recently acquired a mojave engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recently acquired a mojave engine?

I just picked up what is supposed to be a running mojave engine on the real cheap. Have no prior experience with sport quads of any kind however I know my 4x4 Arctic cat like the back of my hand so im not a complete loss on figuring out how to do this but obviously im gonna be needing to get myself a rolling chassis. So lets start with that question obviously almost any chassis could probably take the engine but what aside from a mojave would work as well or possibly be better than a mojave chassis to start this build with? And im in missouri so if anyone has any idea where to look for one that would be helpful as well?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

Oh and from using the search function reading about the mojave I have learned that it is a strong powerplant but I have ran across the initials cwr alot what is cwr??

Old 03-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taker80
Oh and from using the search function reading about the mojave I have learned that it is a strong powerplant but I have ran across the initials cwr alot what is cwr??
If you are a Mojave owner (or want to work on the engine), you'd better know who or waht CWR is.

CWR stands for Cycle Works Racing, a shop specializes on Mojave among other quads. They are the most knowledge people on Mojave as far as I know. They are located in Hanover, PA. Call Gregg at 717-637-1907.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah I found them and it does look like they have alot to offer for the mojave for sure cant wait to find a chassis and get this thing going!!

Old 03-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Mojave is a one nice good oldy from 80's (engine design was way ahead of its time) but the only thing I didn't like was that there was no elec start. It had an akward kick start but then even Honda ATC (& among others) had something like that in that era. Maybe Kawi copied that bad idea from Honda.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah I have heard of issues with kick starter breaking off inside the lower end and even alot of times people just resort to push starting the bike ill do some more research on that and if it comes down to it ill have a new kick start made that wont break!!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

GOKI makes Electric Start retro-fit kit for Mojave at around $420 + shipping, but it might be more than what you pay for the engine.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer

well I will first get it built and see what I have but an electric starter isnt outta the question for sure!!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

Going to get a chassis next weekend any body have any idea what powder coating the frame and suspension will run a guy??

Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

not sure bout the coating. but the mojaves kick problem is due to a brass bushing on the inside that wears away, causing the gears to skip and stuff. but it is a good power plant, its got way more than the 300s, there just better motors, and there piped alot better too... trust me, i got stock versions of both at home lol. I also believe they were the only quads back in the day to come with rev limiters from the factory.

Quick Reply: Recently acquired a mojave engine?