Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

05 brute where is the oil going?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010 | 06:02 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 05 brute where is the oil going?

my 05 brute is going low on oil everytime i ride but i have no oil leaks (for sure), and no smoke any ideas?

Old 04-07-2010 | 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

There has to be leak or smoking which you just don't notice.
Do a leak down test on your engine to find out the culprit.

Old 04-07-2010 | 04:21 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 05 brute

i did an extensive leak check on the engine, but your right its gota go somewhere, ill take a better look at the exhust for smoke.......i do like to wheelie alot mabe thats why thanks for the reply

Old 04-08-2010 | 07:04 AM
Range Rover

The leak down test Hayashi is speaking of is where you pull the spark plugs, screw a pressure gauge in the spark plug hole, crank the engine to run the pressure up in the gauge and see how long the pressure holds. This tests the seal on your piston rings and valve seats.

Old 04-08-2010 | 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by nimadd
The leak down test Hayashi is speaking of is where you pull the spark plugs, screw a pressure gauge in the spark plug hole, crank the engine to run the pressure up in the gauge and see how long the pressure holds. This tests the seal on your piston rings and valve seats.
THANK YOU for clarifying it.
I just assumed reader would understand... In a shop, a little more complicated setup, leak down tester, is used rather than just a compression gaguge. A leak-down tester is a measuring instrument used to determine the condition of internal combustion engines by introducing compressed air into the cylinder and measuring the rate at which it leaks out. Compression testing is a crude form of leak-down testing which also includes effects due to compression ratio, starter/battery condition and other factors. Leak-down testing confines the results to cylinder leakage alone.

Testing is done on an engine which is not running, and normally with the tested cylinder at top dead center, although testing can be done at other points in the compression and power stroke. Pressure is fed into a cylinder via the spark plug hole and the flow, which represents any leakage from the cylinder, is measured.

Leakage is given in wholly arbitrary percentages but these “percentages” do not relate to any actual quantity or real dimension. The meaning of the readings is only relative to other tests done with the same design of tester. Leak-down readings of up to 10% are usually acceptable while greater than that requires a repair. Racing engines would be in the 1-5% range for top performance. For BF engines, I would say <5% is excellent, <10% is good, <20% is questionable.