Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dyno'd my Twin Peaks 800 with Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Dyno'd my Twin Peaks 800 with Nitrous

Yesterday, I put my Twin Peaks 800 on a Superflow Dyno to tune in the motor with the new boondocker kit that I recently installed. See pics of my nitrous kit installation in a separate thread on this forum.

To warm up the motor before the dyno runs, I hit the highway in front of the shop...quickly got up to 82mph (at 8800 rpms) and then decided to let out (was a bit SCARY b/c the tires were wet with dew from the grass).

The first few dyno pulls were all motor and I was happy with the numbers.

Then came time to turn on the bottle and spray a 40hp shot. I was a bit nervous b/c I just installed this kit and have never used nitrous before on any vehicle.

First pull, I cut off the throttle after just a few seconds of spraying...I happened to look down while I was running the ATV at WOT and noticed a steady fog of Nitrous spraying out from under the center hump plastic lid! Luckily, it was a simple fix (the tubing was leaking where it quick-connects to one of the nozzles).

Second and third pulls were less eventful, but only resulted in 2 and 5 add'l HP, respectively, with decent a/f ratio numbers. Obviously, this was VERY disappointing.

After a quick call to my buddy (FastFatBoy on other forums), I was told to disassemble/clean out the nitrous nozzles. While apart, I found one pill had a hole totally clogged and some debris were found in both nozzles. That seemed to do the trick.

Fourth run was 10 add'l HP, but I could tell the rear wheels were slipping on the dyno rollers (strong smell of burt rubber). For every run after that, I guess the tires started sticking better and better b/c the peak HP numbers kept getting higher and higher with every pull. On the final pull, the nitrous added 26HP over my best all motor pull with a/f ratio MAX at 12.9 and 13.2. Before I run it again, I may need to adjust the nozzle adjustment screws a tad bit richer to keep the a/f ratio safe.

MY BEST PULLS TODAY:

*ALL MOTOR: 77.8 RWHP & 55.8 LBS of TQ

*NITROUS: 104.7 RWHP & 67.2 LBS of TQ

See charts and pics below. Let me know what you think.

Happy trails...

Attached Thumbnails Dyno'd my Twin Peaks 800 with Nitrous-dyno-pic-2_april-2010.jpg   Dyno'd my Twin Peaks 800 with Nitrous-dyno-pic-4_april-2010.jpg   Dyno'd my Twin Peaks 800 with Nitrous-twin-peaks-800-pic-1_stocker-look.jpg   Dyno'd my Twin Peaks 800 with Nitrous-dyno-run-nitrous_april-2010.jpg  
Old 04-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome/insane!

if you go back for another run, try putting a bunch of weight over the rear tires - should solve your problem and help you tune quicker.

Good luck!

TC

Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

dang, thats freakin sweet from a big farm quad haha jk. that makes my little 300 look like crap ! im hopin to get 35-40 hp from it when i get it back from the shop... no nitrous though

Old 04-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

nice!!

Old 04-25-2010, 12:49 PM

shoulda used slick tires, knobbies spin on the drums... you pobably have more hp then that

Old 04-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MikeyBoyesq
MY BEST PULLS TODAY:
*ALL MOTOR: 77.8 RWHP & 55.8 LBS of TQ
*NITROUS: 104.7 RWHP & 67.2 LBS of TQ

damn NICE #'s ....you got a beast there .

Old 04-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all of the compliments.

Yes, slicks or street tires would have worked better on the dyno than my stock (knobbie) tires, but I don't have any slicks or street tires. Mainly, I just use the dyno as a tuning tool to get my jetting right...the max HP and TQ numbers are just gravy! lol Keep in mind that some dynos read higher or lower #s than other dynos.

Regardless, I'm very happy with how its running now, and I can't wait to get to a 300' sand drag strip or 1/8 mile asphalt drag strip and see what it will do on the juice. Should be interesting.

Happy trails...

Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats friggen sick!! bet she lifts front up pretty easy even haha nice quad man

Old 04-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

We've got to get togther and do some play racing and have some fun. There are a couple guys with brutes comming to do some street racing. They've sent word that there is nothing around that can run with them, NOTHING!! LOL I'd love to have your bike up here just to run them. Win or lose after that we'll turn some of our 6.0 1/8th mile banshees loose on them and see how cocky they are then. I have a feeling your bike will humble them too. Come on up if ya want. I know it's a haul but it should be fun.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

Jay,

Thanks for the invite...sounds like a fun time. When are the fast brutes supposed to meet up with you and your gang for street racing? I have no idea what May looks like for me, but I'm hoping to do some sand drag racing and/or 1/8 mile racing somewhere during May. Its killing me to walk past big blue in the garage and STILL not know what it feels like to push the button while riding/racing. lol

Quick Reply: Dyno'd my Twin Peaks 800 with Nitrous