Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Some Tecate-4 Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering how everyone likes there T-4 because I found on in real nice shape for 2300 dollars. I am interested in it alot but I have never ridden one and want to know some stuff before I get my hopes up and drive 3hours to get it. So let me know how they handle, I have heard they handled bad? Also do they have very much low-end? Last how would they do in a race with a CR250, KX250, and LT250 that are all in real good shape. Oh yeah could I race MX on it and actually have a chance against everyone elses 250R or banshee and how are they at the dunes?
Thank You

Old 06-06-2001, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

I have two of them, an '88, and an '87(currently in pieces, being rebuilt). I just had my '88 out in the Oregon dunes this past weekend, and I have to say I wouldn't have wanted to be on any other quad. Mine has a 2" extended swingarm, and +2 wider/+1 forward A-arms. The motor is bone stock except for a Ricky Stator, and a pipe and silencer. The handling is, in my opinion, better than a Honda 250R, as the few that I've ridden are twitchy as heck, and prone to excessive bump steer. My Tecate doesn't do anything funny while jumping, landing, ripping through roller coaster-type trails, or at speed. It's a very confidence inspiring ride. The power is good, slightly better than the aforementioned 250R. It won't, however, with equal riders, beat a bike (you know, that power to weight ratio thing!). It has a little more bottom end than a Banshee, but will give up a little in the top end, even though it has a more usable (not as narrow) power range. It's all about what you want. As far as I'm concerned, a Banshee belongs only in the dunes. If you want to trail ride or motocross at all, stick with the Tecate. I've trail-ridden my '88, and other than the wider front end being a nuisance at times, it's a blast on the trail (and I usually take my WR250F for trail rides. My way of thinking is: Bikes=trails, quads=dunes.). As with anything, you can pump the motors to make quite a bit of horsepower if you're into serious duning. There's a few out there with 300cc kits (and bigger!) running alcohol, and they'll have you fighting to hang on to the bars.

If you can get a NICE one for $2300, I'd drive at least TWICE as far to get it. I gave $2500 for a beater that needed a complete overhaul (my mistake!), and $3800 for a nice one with a bunch of spare tires and parts. RIDE GREEN!

You can see both of my quads at:

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/6243/conbrian.htm

Old 06-06-2001, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you for the info. BTW I have that quad set as my Wallpaper right now! Anyway the LT250 keeps up just fine with the bikes and so I think I will probably end up getting it. Thank you. Oh yeah one more question, I can wheelie My mojave forever but my friends Banshee is hard to get the front end up, are the Tecate's like this? Are you going to sandfest? We could ride together then. The tecate also has extended A-Arms and Axle(don't know which brand)

Old 06-07-2001, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

A Tecate will easily outrun an LT250. Either both being stock, or with similar modifications. I had an LT250 at one time, and it was a slug compared to the Tecate. As far as keeping up with bikes, it depends on the rider, and the conditions. A quad is faster and more maneuverable in the dunes, but on a motocross track, a bike will eat a quad, given comparable rider skills.

Banshees are longer, and have a more "pipey" power band, therefore they are harder to wheelie. Even my longer Tecate still wants to wheelie, and while I'm no wheelie king, some of my more aggressive friends are able to wheelie the Tecate as good as a four-stroke (400EX, for example).

If the quad you're looking at has extended A-arms already, that is a major bonus. I know of a USED set right now, and the asking price (with bearings, seals, and bushings) is $675. An extended axle isn't really necessary, but an extended swingarm is. I don't know who does them, but mine is a modified stock swingarm. Very nicely done, too.

I might be going to Sandfest, I don't know for sure, yet. I'm heading back down to Florence weekend after next, and we might go down to Winchester for part of a day.

Old 06-07-2001, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you for your help! I am very interested in it now and I will find out for sure tonight if I get, I hope I can!! Anyway I need to sell my Mojave that needs some work and I need around 800 dollars for it because my Uncle is giving me money but I have to come up with part of it,I'm only 14 and can't get a job yet so I need to sell this, Do you know anyone who would be interested? If you do email meltracerx@hotmail.com I am a better rider than anyone who will be riding the bikes so will I win?