Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave 330cc

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I E-mailed Mickey Dunlap on his thoughts of the Mojave 330cc kit and this was his response:

If you are on the eastcoast, you probably won't have to change the jetting
in the summer time and you don't need to change the air cleaner because it
won't flow any more with the different brand so save your money and just get
a pipe. We recommend the SuperTrapp because it has a short headpipe
compared to the DG which has a long one. The 330 kit, complete, piston,
sleeve, head gasket and o-rings is $325. At that time, I would recommend
putting valve springs ($95) in it and getting rid of the rev limiter for $85
(modify your black box).

Any one know where I can get the supertrapp ids2 racing exhaust? I've seen the quiet ones, but I want a racing one that comes with the haedpipe. Also, I am running 13/43 gearing, what size rear tires should I get? I am very set on the Maxxis Razars, are these good for trail riding, and ocannosinal mud? I want a flatter tire for sliding. All thoughts are appreciated.

Old 09-08-2001, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

I used to have an 88 mojave. I sold it to my buddy and now i still work and ride it all the time. I added supertrapp ids2 exhaust. It is the quiet series but it isn't quiet at all even with the spark arrestor inside. It added more low to mid range power. I am running 20" maxxis razors on my atc 250r and just love them. They are awesome tires and hook up on all surfaces. We are getting ready to put some on the mojave. They are an awesome power sliding tire. I can really slide good around turns. I think that the 20" tires would work well on the mojave. They are smaller than stock and will give you more low end power.

Old 09-08-2001, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the response, I think I might get the 20x11x10 mounted on douglas red labels. Also, my front tires are stock (which are very bald), should I get the Razars for the front? I need sumething that gets grip, because the brakes are good, but the tires skid. So the quiet series IS LOUDER than stock? thanks.

Old 09-08-2001, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

I've never tried the razors for the front but they look good. Anything is an improvement over stock. The quiet series is louder than stock but isn't that bad. It sounds very throaty and nice. You can also tune the exhaust by putting more or less discs in the muffler.

Old 09-08-2001, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

The 330 kit only runs $325? Damn, I might just do that. What else is involved in the installation? It doesnt have a longer stroke (longer rod)? What are the hidden details?

Old 09-08-2001, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

The only other cost to the 330cc kit would be the removal and installation of the sleeve, I talked to my local dealer and he said he doesn't do that, and he does not know where it can be done. Anyone know where I can get this done, and how much will it cost? Lurch, I know you had this done, who resleeved it for you?
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2001, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Where can I get it resleeved???????

Old 09-10-2001, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

My local shop sent my cylinder to a machine ship. They bored out the cases.

Old 09-10-2001, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider

How much does it cost to get the cases bored? I would liek to get this done, only I do not have an unlimited suply of money. I need to get an idea of total cost before I start this project. Thanks

Old 09-10-2001, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Ok people....here is the scoop on my 330. My local shop did the install. I have something to say about local machine shops.......

IF THEY HAVE NEVER DID A HOP UP LIKE THIS......DO NOT TAKE IT TO THEM!!!!!!

1.) The cases have to be split in order to bore them out. If anyone else tells you differently, ignore them. That's way too much metal being ground away.

2.) If you have any doubt about it, send it to Mickey himself and let the man who made it do it. Make sure your shop guy doesn't skip anything and does everything to spec.

When I took my motor to Mickey, I wasn't aware of anything being wrong. I hadn't rode it since Loretta Lynn's practice. It seemed to be producing great power. When Mickey tore down my motor for a pre build inspection, he noticed my piston was damaged from the exhaust valves hitting it. Upon further inspection, he noticed that my exhaust valves were bent. It looked as if I floated a valve. Truth is, I never revved it hard until Loretta Lynn's. It had maybe 3 hours on the new top end when I got to Loretta's.

Just incase you are wondering, it's not the 330 bore kit that caused it. I will to the day I die recommend the FST 330cc piston/sleeve kit to ANY AND EVERYONE who owns a Mojave. I have to talk to Mickey to get a better understanding about what went wrong with mine. From I've been told, it had to do with the fact that the shop guy set my valve timing off by 26 degrees. When he fired it up the first time...it sounded like crap. I thought he adjusted the valves to spec after that because it seemed to run great after. After returning from Loretta's, the shop guy told me that he eyeballed it and got it close. That wasn't good in my opinion.

This is just my opinion, but make sure you trust the guy who will have the heart of your Mojave in his hands. If you are unsure, send it to FST. Mickey Dunlap is a great guy to deal with. If you send your motor to Four Stroke Tech, Mickey Dunlap will be the only one touching it, and he knows Mojaves. This is to just warn you to be cautious about taking your motor mods to someone who hasn't done motor mods like this before.

Pray about it and have faith. Never underestimate the power of prayer!

Quick Reply: Mojave 330cc