Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I having a problem with my Lakota 2001 Sport. I got it in December and have had no problems up to this point. I went to go start it up last weekend, and it would'nt kick over. Dead Battery! I must have left the igition on.So I go to pull start it. It kicked over but then boged out. I tried again and no luck. I even had someone pull me to "jump start" it. No luck. I finnaly got it running but as soon as I hit the gas it dies. I pulled it apart ( I have the manual) and cleaned out the carbarater, took it compleatly apart. I also cleaned the air fiter. Both were not to dirty, but I did it anyway. Spark plug looks good. I started it again, but this time I was able give it a little gas, but it was sputtering and back fireing. I let it run at idle for about 1/2 hour. I gave it gas again and it seemed to be running better, less or no back fireing.. So I put it back together again, so I could give it a test run. Now I am back to square one. I can start it, no choke, but as soon as I give it gas it dies. I mention the choke because it will not run at higher rpms. If anybody has any ideas, please let me know. I dread taking my machine in and pay someone 200 or so dollars to lossen up some screws or tighten up some bolts.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 09-25-2001, 08:57 AM
Range Rover

Have you done any engine related mods to it? I had this same problem 2 months ago-I was REALLY lean-just need to jet up. Also, not sure what carb you have, but on my CVK, I tighented the needle jet holder down too tight one time, causing it to compress, more or less cutting off most of the gas to the engine-this took me a little while to figure out-$16 later I was back on track.

Old 09-25-2001, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

Battery dead,hummmm!
Lets back up a little, are you sure you left the key on?
Sounds like a timing problem, but it's not, you would have deffinetly known it when you shut her down.
Go to your manual and go to the electrical section and do a stator test.
But I believe you will find some grounding out wiring between the battrey and the ignician switch.
The problem is insafficent spark.
If your regulator is out most of the time the lts. will glow real bright.
Do your stator test and get that out of your mind, then try finding skinned wiring this is were your problem lyes.
Let us know what you find, if its wiring ok (we all have had this problem at one time or another), but if it's a lakota problem we would all like to know.

Old 09-25-2001, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Usually if it sputter it's a fuel problem.
I have a '01 lakota too. I bought it in August 2000
About 3 months after I got it fuel was running out of the over flow hose on the carb.I took it apart and there was a tiny piece of white silicone sealant holding the float valve
open the whole way,so keep a eye out for stuff like that.Also when I did the first oil change there was a bigger piece on the oil filter.They must put that stuff
on pretty thick at the factorty....just my $.02[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2001, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I to had the same problem as momar 3 days after i got mine last christmas 01 lakota sport i had some plastic or silicone hold open my floar then i added a fuel filter no more problems.

Old 09-26-2001, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer

Mordr,
I have no mods in pacle at this time, although was considering some dowmn the road. As far as the Carb. what whatever on they gave me, I am not sure. I did take it apart though and found nothing wrong with it,

Thanks

Mike

Old 09-26-2001, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

Gaff,
I will be working on it this week end and let you know. I never thought of a wirng problem. But the sator did cross my mind. I figured its fairly new though and it should be okay. I'll let you know how i make out.

Mike

Old 09-26-2001, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

Mike,
I very much doubt its your stator, You eill have to do the test on it just so in your trouble shooting that same nagging question does't keep you chasing your tail.
The thing that tips me off is the dead battrey and the belief that your nuetral lts killed your battrey before you noticed.
If you think about it, if the key was off and the battrey went dead, it would have to be between the batt. and the key switch.
I have had many many problems with skinned wire grounding against the frame wich has had many wiered affects.
Poeple are going to mention stators, coils, ignition switches, and capacitence. My advice is keep it simple you know how it ran when you put it up and you know how it acted when you started it.
My assumptions come from the dead battery and the sputtering when you started it.
Some may even say it sounds like the cam chain jumped a tooth. To new of a bike for this. But it deffinately sounds like not enough electricity going to the plug to have a complete combustion, and the sputtering is the cycles were the spark just didn't happen that go around, probably when you bumped the gas

Old 09-26-2001, 03:13 PM
Range Rover

ive had the same trouble with my 97 lakota. i replaced the battery and it never gave me a bit of trouble again. i cant tell you why this is , but thats how it is.if the battery is completly dead , it wont run for nuthin'. the exact same problems also happened to me with my harley and an old virago 920.replaced the battery and problems gone!
let us know.

Old 09-27-2001, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem with my old Lakota (DG Pipe, Filter and many other mods) I replaced the battery, and that was it.

Quick Reply: Lakota Problem