Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota held its own....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 04:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was out at the local dirt pit today for about 3 hours and must say that the lakota just keeps on impressing me that it is one of the most underrated kawi quads out there. There was 2 honda 300exs', 1 honda 250ex, and a very, very old mojave. I would have thought that the 300ex would have just outperformed me in everything, but they didn't, now don't get me wrong they would out accelerate me off the line, having that manual clutch makes a big difference. The one thing I don't like about the lakota is the weight, on the trails you don't really feel the 460 lbs, but when you start to jump the machine thats when you notice it.

Has anyone ever had any trouble after they have been riding for awhile that their lakota will not idle very well. Today after about 2 1/2 hours of riding my quad just would not idle very smooth. It would idle rough for about 10 seconds and then start to sputter and then make a small backfire "pop" and die. It would start right up, but I would have to stay on the throttle to keep it from dying. Im thinking that its either bad gas or the spark plug might be getting all fouled up. Anyone have any input....

This past week I have ordered the 13t sprocket and the IDS2 exhaust from RockymoutainATV, and the K&N power kit from Dennis Kirk. The K&N kit and the exhaust where on backorder and I was told that they would be in near the end of Oct. Gaff, have you got yours yet and if so do you like it, and are you going to get those wheel spacers that you mentioned before.

Thanks everyone,

Dirthead

Old 10-15-2001, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

I have had close to the same problem with the idle after prolonged riding. Because it was not as bad as what your talking about I didn't do any thing. Except I turned the idle up a little.
I believe if we turned the air/fuel mixture screw out about a half turn it would probably cure this problem.
I haven't recieved the pipe and jet kit yet, but I talked to rocky mountain last friday and they told me the jet kit was in and they thought the pipe would be in this coming week.
The wheel spacers are going to come.
When you rode hard with those other bikes you noticed like I did, the wheel spacers are needed.
I can tell you with just the 13T sprocket I lost alot of that tipsy feeling.
I believe because the gears are longer when I corner I have alot more gear to follow through with a power slide. Given that before I would run out of gear and couldn't complete the slide, the rears would catch traction and airborne I would go.
As far as jumping, I don't know yet, I'm going to finish the mods on order and then get a good set of one inch spacers, and then go on a wieght loss program.
Weare going to loose about eight pounds with the super trapp and then maybe start on the wheels. We'll just have to see.
I already know about the 300ex and the 250ex I've ridden with both on the track and stayed all over them. I just ran out of gear every time I tried to pass.
also atv mag. review said they were to rich using the 138 main jet in the dynojet kit with the filter and pipe. I noticed if you remove the piece of plastic on the nose of your bike thiers a one and a quarter (I guess) inch intake hose with a one in a half cap type deal on it.
I have already drilled out my air box, but I believe it was stebob who told me he removed this cap. I believe if you remove this cap the 138 main jet will work out correctly. Also it will save time on waiting for that 136 from yamaha.

Old 10-15-2001, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

Dirt head,
I just noticed your from mobile.
Damn I live just below new orleans.
I'm off-shore rite now one of my buddies out here lives in sitranella (I don't know how to spell it)
We should plan a ride soon.
I go to the spill-way in new orleans all the time. It's 7500 acres for quads and 7500 acres for four wheel drives. They have just about every thing except long hill climbs.
Let me know what you have around thier.