Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 vs 660 vs 700

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Folks,
I see that the 650 vs 660 vs 700 threads have became a bit dated. I was wondering how riders experiences have been with these three machines. I am looking at buying one of them, leaning toward the 700 or the 650 at this time have ridden all three but no long term experience so was wondering pro/cons that you have had. My riding will be pulling trailers, riding trails, with some decent swamps around here.
Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-18-2001, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 650 Prairie and I love it. The 700 says it pulls more. I love the rear brakes on mine. I think it can stop any thing you pull with an atv. If you plan on just going stock the 700 has the best tires and already has a winch mount. If you plan on racing I think the 650 is the faster of the 2. The 700 has a more plush ride but the 650 is next to best, I have no complant. Each bike has its own features. I like the ground clearence on the 700, but I like how I have a locking diff. so I can have light steering and have 3wd. As for the 660 I dont have faith in a yamaha. I hope this input helps.

Old 10-19-2001, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Upnort: There's a saying that I saw and I think fits well here "Support a mechanic, buy a Polaris". Prior to my purchase of the Prairie 650 I was leaning towards the Sportsman until I went to a Polaris/Kawasaki dealership. The sales guy said that Polaris ATVs keep their shop going coming in for repairs. He said they very rarely see the Kawi's back other than for service. This is from a dealer who sold both so that should tell you something.

The Sportsman has like 27 or 31 grease fittings that constantly need to be re-greased and maintained. I imagine the reason for problems is that the owners of these machines don't realize the maintenance, ride the hell out of these machines and then complain when something happens. I was very impressed w/ the sportsman until I saw the Prairie 650. I wouldn't sacrafice my 650 for an extra 50 cc's, 100 lbs of weight, and $1300 and lose the sporty, quick, comfortable, nimble, absolute raw power that the 650 has.

All in all, I don't think you can get all that the 650 has to offer compared to the 660 or 700. But that's just my 2 cents. Bring on the Grizzly, I want someone to beat me on this machine...I actually passed a grizzly and rubicon on the trails the other day and wanted to chase him down and see if he'd 'duke it out' with me in the straight away fields. Never did though...if I see him again I think I will definately stop him, see what he thinks and see if he's up for a challenge...

Parker
650 Prairie (BEAST)

Old 10-19-2001, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I also wonder: with some of the problems that Kawasaki is dealing w/ right now because of the dealers not being familiar with this machine, if Polaris will be dealing with the same.

New quad + unfamiliar mechanics = Bullsh*t explanations

Or maybe the Polaris mechanics know the Sportsmans inside out and upside down by now and have seen just about everything there is to see from a mechanics point of view.

Parker

Old 10-19-2001, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

<< I also wonder: with some of the problems that Kawasaki is dealing w/ right now because of the dealers not being familiar with this machine, if Polaris will be dealing with the same. >>

If you look at the yamaha forums around the net, you'll see that grizzlies have problems with the front diff bearings. I've read posts where Polaris 700's have bad sensors and they overheat. Prairie 650's have bad choke cables and some have improper belt tension. So they all have first year bugs that need to be worked out.