Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 kaw vs 660 grizz

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know from seeing them race that the kaw650 is faster but what do you kaw owners think about the ride compared to the grizzly ????

Old 10-21-2001, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Im sure the Grizz has a cushier ride but I honestly have no complaints about the ride quality of the Prairie. Maby when I hit fifty or so I will be singing a different tune but for now I feel the solid axle to be the "tougher" design. Just less parts to break.

Old 10-21-2001, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I drove a friends quad that has IRS and really didn't care for the body roll while trying to power slide. The IRS will give a softer ride no matter what the brand name is on the plastics but some of us like the sportier feel of a solid axle.

Old 10-21-2001, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I now own both machines now and can provide you the following first synopsis having just put about 6 hours on the Prairie this past weekend (I've owned the Yamaha 660 since end of July):

Grizzly Pro's

- Ground Clearance is higher
- Steering is easier and tighter
- Ride is definately more plush (better technical riding machine for rocks)
- Push botton locking front differential instead of the left yellow lever on the handlebars on the Prairie (comes in handy when you need to access your winch to get unstuck with the front diff locked - just click and forget it on the Griz, you have to hold the lever on Prairie the whole time).
- $69 Warn Winch Progam

Grizzly Con's

- Top end speed is good, but the "immediate" thrust is unmatched to the Prairie
- The rev limiter really stinks when you stuck, especially when you want to lock the differential
- Shifter is not as easy to access

Praire Pro's

- No doubt about it, the machine gives you instant power
- Full tank in the rear gives you better center of gravity
- Engine breaking is unmatched to the Grizzly
- Front/Rear Breaks are awesome
- Prairie is supposively more "water" friendly (I've yet to have any problems with the Griz with 130 miles on it, though),
- Rev limiter over-ride button
- Convenient right shifter

Prairie Cons

- Suspension is stiffer than that of the Grizzly (you'd notice it after driving the Grizzly for a couple of hours and then changing to the Prairie, it's a big difference).
- Steering is more difficult (my arms are very tired from driving the Prairie the past couple of days)
- Could use another 2 inches of ground clearance
- Seat is kind of wide compared to Grizzly
- No trailer hitch
- No Winch Proram (cost you at least $300 to get one, plus mount)

Bottomline, I don't think you'll be unhappy with either one. They both weigh about 600 lbs (140 less than the Polaris 700 V-Twin Suburban 3/4 Ton) so they handle very well for big bore machines on the trails. If I were to have just one, I'd probably elect to have the Grizzly, but I've honestly having put the Prairie to the test that I've put my Grizzly through thus far, so ask me in a couple of months :-)

Hope this helps.

Old 10-22-2001, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mega4 just get it over with and buy the Prairie 650

Old 10-25-2001, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

gatorbait//does the 660 have a better engine braking setup than the 650?on a kindly steep hill which machine would come off it the slowest in both high and low?

Old 10-25-2001, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have some time in the saddle with my friends new 660 Grizz.I like everything about this machine except for the speed limiter in the locked 4x4 mode.I dont care for the stock tires either.

This ATV turns like someone added a power steering unit to it.It has PLENTY of power.You feel no lag time with this ATV before the belt engages,its far superiour to Polaris belt drive.This ATV rides every bit as good as the Sportsman 500,very plush.Braking was good/excellant.This 4x4 will allmost certainly be my next ATV.I still have to ride Jeff Sr Kawi twin 650 for a little while before finalizing my purchase,but it sure appears like the Grizz will be MY next 4x4?

Bill

Old 10-25-2001, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,
I'm happy to give you a test drive. I was going to go to the Mounds this Saturday, but I hurt my shoulder a few weeks ago and it won't heal. I have to see a doctor next week. The new tires make the quad feel completely different though.

Old 10-25-2001, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

quad400 i just might buy one but the over heating issue may make me decide on another grizz, but they have the junk raptor engine in it

Old 10-25-2001, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

quad 400, where abouts is quadville usa? your always stirring the @#$# ! at least i will know if your one of those sand dune,never seen mud,or its 65degrees and its to cold to ride people !!!later[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 650 kaw vs 660 grizz