Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Need help on more modding of lakota!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys, I absolutely love my lakota.
Now I have one problem, my brothers coming down for maudi gras this year and he and his friend are bringing a couple 01 warriors with them.
I haven't raced any warriors flat out, but in the trails and on the mx track I've been handling them with ease. My problem is, these two are NO roockies, they can ride and ride hard.
Both bikes are stalk.(But I'm sure he wants a piece)
now I am very well known back in adena, ohio as the horse power king, And have no intention on letting little brother and his friend to go home and let every one know they took me and the lakota for a ride, soooo, Help!

FST has three options, High compression piston.....322 big bore....354 stroker kit!
I e-mailed web cam lastnight for what they have, FST has cams but I have a feeling they come from web.
I thought a 10.5:1 piston with a cam, but then thought well hell one more day in a machine shop...322
I don't realy feel like the stroker kit, because splitting the cases, well you get the picture!
I plan on doing all the work my self, at home

Old 11-09-2001, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer

Gaff,
I am adjusting my valves tomarrow (sat). I will let you know how it goes. As far as the mods on your Lakota go, I guess it depends on which provides the best bang for the buck. I think since you have the filter, carb and exhaust set up right I would go with the high compression piston. With this, you can run super-unlead gas and get some more power in the upper rpm range. I am more familiar in engine mods of cars (1966 GTO convertible, 1986 Mustang GT, both modified), but I would guess you could get 0.5-1.0hp more with the piston and 1.5-2.0hp more with the 322 big bore kit (20hp stock/300cc x 22 cc's more). This is 10-15% more hp than stock, not bad. I guess it depends on the price of these mods. I would be interested in knowing th price of each.
Lakota300

Old 11-09-2001, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

High comp piston 10.5:1.....$165

322 big bore kit.......$265

354 stroker crank......$365

I'm glad you posted the HP.
My brother was telling me his warrior was about 17hp, and he thought the lakota was about 13 to 14.
What I want to do is a mild port job and put some cams in. Problem being....I have the bottom were I want it and feel the cams will kill it.
I was just looking for some cams and then thought well just get a high comp. piston. Then I thought well it will be stupid to get standard size, just in case the bore was a little big, so then I said ok I'll get a .20 over.
Well I don't have a problem with that, Buttttt I thought well if I go and do that, why not the big bore kit!
As you can see 300cr, I'm confused.
Do you think with a set of cams and a piston I'm only looking at 1 or 2 hp gain.
It's actualy a 32cc gain, do the math for me see what you can come up with!

Old 11-09-2001, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Whats your thoughts hossman!!!!

Old 11-10-2001, 01:45 AM
Range Rover

Gaff:

I know you said you didn't want to split the cases but I think that for the money it's worth getting the 354 kit. That's what I hope to do in the future. I also think that with the piston and cams you will get more that 1 or 2 HP, thats what you get when you install a pipe. It has to be more with the cams and piston. If you really don't want the stroker kit go with the 322 I think it will be well worth it, and it will add close to maybe 20% power increase. Those are my thoughts.

Later

Old 11-10-2001, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

17hp stock for Lakota. I'm sorry to say even with those mods you prob. will not be able to outrun a Warrior in a straight line drag. Sorry long time no hear, been busy w/mandatory OT at work. I work on a computer all day long and when I get home I haven't even been checking email. I'm still here.

BTW - I haven't even sat on my quad since last I spoke to ya'll.

Old 11-10-2001, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Oh my lord it's stebob!!!

Hay man I just put your screen name on the back of a milk carton!!
I even thought about starting a thread "were's stebob"

It's cool your back man.

Hay I remember you had tons of questions for a bunch of poeple that aren't around any more.
Whats your take, I don't think I would drag any body, but what kind of power gains do you think we're looking at here!

I've been riding the lakota in all types of places, also have my mods on now.
I used twelve disc and believe I have the #138 main working good, although I'm going to do more testing next week!
I have been riding some mx, but mostly cross country trails, and honestly I don't have any trouble with warriors so far. But you know rider ability is eighty percent of it.

Lets hier what your thoughts are about the three choices!

Old 11-10-2001, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer

Well I have a Warrior and a Lakota and I can honestly say the Lakota is fairly competitive with the Warrior! This is,however,only because Lakotas are geared WAY too low! If I was you I'd go with the 322 kit and a new cam/valve srings set. You also may seriously want to consider new tires all around cuz the stockers(front especially) aren't all that great! I think I'd keep the tire size at 22",but put on a countershaft sprocket w/atleast 1 if not 2 more teeth.This should help. My brother is coming over tonight so I'll drag race him(Warrior vs. Lakota)and post the results! PeAcE OuT yO!

Old 11-10-2001, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

ha haa ha I know I would catch it from you Gaff, 14mins too when he sees I'm still alive. All is well and good.

You may or may not remember an article I mentioned awhile back that Dirt Wheels did. I think it's March of '99 or so, I can't remember. They did a shootout between stroked 350 Lakota and Mojove's. Man, to be honest, I would leave it alone. You now have what I have, I don't yet have the 13 tooth yet though. I know what you are talking about when you say it runs good. I have surprised many with it. It runs darn good, not as fast as my buddies 400ex or someone else's Raptor (14mins, man those things are FAST!!!). You know as much as I like my Lakota, if you are wanting something that much faster, you should get a diff. machine. The Lakota is heavy. Yeah, I can throw it around with no prob, but it ain't the same as the 400ex I ride alot.

To answer your question though, I would prob. go with the high compression piston and call Web cams. I don't think I would stroke it. Now we will be dealing with reliability issues. The choice is yours my friend.

My question to you is: What are you wanting out of your machine?

Old 11-10-2001, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

well to be honest stebob I love it, you have to get that 13T sprocket though.
Many had tried sense you last were here and man what a huge difference!

I was thinking of some cams, but the bottom is awsome now.
The cams scare me though, I don't want to losse any bottom and thought a 10.5:1 piston would keep my bottom and let the cam widen my power range!

I don't want another machine though, the lakota's chasis and physical size is the best I've ridden.
I like the trails and cross country the most wich plays rite into the lakota's hand.
With the mods it brought the hole quad around to a graet package. I just have to get use to how the short shifting and bottom end riding of a four stroke. I don't believe I would ever stroke it though!

I guess because I am off-shore and have a lot of time on my hads I just think to much.
A knew set of tires with a skid plate will probably come first, but you have to get that 13T sprocket stebob, you don't know what your missing.

What type of throttle response increase did you get by going down to the #134 main

Quick Reply: Need help on more modding of lakota!!!