Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Anyone have their 650 in snow yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We might have a warm winter here. No snow yet. I saw this show that rarely comes in here called ATV 'something'. It had some 650's on it. They hit a little snow. The 650 got high centered a few times. I also noticed some "limited slip" front diff quads only turning 3 tires, and sometimes the wrong tire (one with the "least" traction). Sometimes the limited slip quads did work and kept switching the torque from tire to tire. Anyway, what's the most snow you've had your 650 in so far? Has anyone tested the stockers vs. aftermarket in snow yet. I didn't get an extra set of rims, so I can't.

Thanks.

Old 12-10-2001, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

Jeffoxsr

Do you actually get any snow in Michigan right next to the banana belt USA. Just kidding I now you can get considerable snow I worked once in Michigan long time ago. I have at the moment around 12in of snow so far and the Kawi is working fine especially with 28in Outlaws. The temperature is bouncing around -20F so far this morning with some snow flys fluttering about. We are supposed to have the next three days of flurrys so maybe the bike will get hung up later this week. From past experience any bike is only as good as its ability to reach traction and if it can't touch terrafirma, all get up and gone is gone up and went. It isn't a sled by no means!!!!

Kawi 650 2in lift 28in Outlaws
Honda 450ES 27in Vampires

Old 12-10-2001, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

What is the measurement fro the ground to the middle outside of the foot peg with the 28" outlaws? Those are sweet tires.

Thanks.

Old 12-10-2001, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Why atvs three wheel.

Limited slip doesnt work much better than an open diff. There is a clutch pack in the front diff that creates some resistance to the opposing wheel. 70/30 torque bias. When one wheel exceeds this bias (ie one wheel off the ground providing 0% resistance), that wheel will spin twice as fast as the rear wheels. The wheel on solid ground wont turn. Thats why a locking diff is so supierior to a limited slip. Limited slip is worthless IMO. Hondas version (torque sensing) is just a fancy name for LSD. still provides the power to the tire with the least amout of tracton.

Old 12-10-2001, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

I took mine out in the snow yesterday and was very impressed. 5 minuted after unloading it from the trailer. I managed to roll the quad upside down on top of me when going down a steep bank. I tapped the brakes and it sent me over the handlebars. (Next time I will try 2wd and use only the back brakes.) Anyway later on, there was a nice clear cut area on a side of a hill that had about 8 inches of snow. I slowly crept my way down the hill while saying to myself..."this is a bad idea". I went down to a point where I can hear all my friends telling me what a dumb *** I am for going down there as the proceed to throw snow ***** at me. So I get the quad turned around and I am looking up at the hill and now it looks much steeper than it looked from up on top. I took my helmets and gloves off to cool down for a minute as I was starting to sweat from trying to muscle the quad getting it turned around. Now was the moment of truth...a large hill in front of me with snow, roots, fallen timber, rocks and god know what else...friends at the top too chicken to try it on thier quads, making bets that I can't make it up. So I threw it in 4 low, grabbed the diff lock lever, and....blasted right up the friggin hill in one shot. The look on my friends faces made my day!

Old 12-10-2001, 05:21 PM
Range Rover

Waterville Maine, Can you tell me how you like the dirt devils on your 650. I bought 589's for mine but took them off. I want to buy dirt devils but am afraid of owning to many tires. How much do they weigh compared to the 589's thanks for your time and input.

Old 12-10-2001, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Jeff, I was hoping you could answer a question for me. In a previous post I believe you mentioned that you richened up your idle mixture or something to compensate for the lower temps these days.I was wondering how that worked out for you and if so what symptoms it fixed.
Thanks in advance....

Old 12-10-2001, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

I went another 1/4 turn out on both pilot screws to smoothe out the 1/8 light throttle response. It was chugging a little. It's good now at 35 degrees just from that small adjustment. If anything changes I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 12-11-2001, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

Dextreme
That was a great story

Old 12-11-2001, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Yoe...

I will trade you?

The devils ride like stockers, no low speed bump steer. Very sporty because they are flat. My only complaint is I got 26" but they are the same size as the 25's in height.

What size are your 589's, why dont you like them?

Quick Reply: Anyone have their 650 in snow yet ?