Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Gaff, 98lakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! Gaff, if you take a clear piece of tubing is your fuel level really at the mating surface? I tried the old needle and the dyno jet, I have not adjusted the fuel level gain and my prob. still persists. I have a drip of fuel coming out the drain tube. Before it was a gusher. However, my fuel level is prob. close to 3/16th's of an inch below. I have to turn my fuel off or have a constant drip..drip..drip. This is driving my nuts. I have posted on most of the other forums and no luck. 98lakota do you know where your fuel level is? Do I just need to lower the level a bit more and is there another problem I need to look for?

Old 01-06-2002, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

also....what ya think of this....A guy told me the best way to get your idle mixture pretty much spot on is to back the screw out until the machine starts to run poorly, then back it out 'till it clears back up and, wholla, should be spot on.

Old 01-07-2002, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

stebob, I'm at work now, but thursday I'll deffinately check the level for you. I always use the maiting serfice as a bench mark, but it is slitely lower than that most cases.
I have three XR's I have at home and in the cold weather when I don't use them much they drip the same way. I just took it as the little rubber tip of the float needle to be cold and hard, all three stop as soon is the bikes are started and warmed up, and all three don't leak above 55 or 60 degrees.
From what you say your level in the bowl is, it sounds damn close.
But thursday I will check the level and measure it from the maiting surface, sorry but thursday is the best I can do.
The air/fuel mixture adjustment proceedure you discribed is most every ones way of doing it, I put mine back to 2 1/2 turns and it's been working better, usualy I go a step further and listen to the idle, how steady it is and also wack the throttle a couple times to see how it returns to idle.
you want it to return to idle quickly, almost instantly, I've been only able to get it to go a little better than coast back to idle, what you don't want is it to come down idle high for a couple seconds and then drop to idle.
It was hard for me to get it to idle perfect, cold or warm, it wanted t go up or down after I just let it sit thier and idle.
I have it perfect now I can start it and let it sit for an hour and it will idle perfect.
I wanted a little more time to play with the disc and air/fuel mixture screws and post my findings, but it has gotten unusually cold here when I was home, and after all these years in the south I can't stand the cold.
When I get home thursday I will do a real good looking into the carb and get back to you quick as I can.

Old 01-07-2002, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

I'll check my level tonight and let you know tomorrow. I've never had a problem like this, and my quad sees temperature extremes from 0-100 degrees here in Tennessee.

Old 01-07-2002, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys! No rush, I can't tear back into it 'till Sat anyway.