Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Y2K Prarie 300 vs. Y2K 325 Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2000, 01:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 Wheel ATV action just did a shootout on these bikes, and I can tell you first hand that they were not far off. Why, well, I recently got rid of my 325 Magnum 4x4 and bought a Prarie 300 4x4. These ATV rags that report on "shootouts" are usually full of BS. I also find that their specs are usually wrong (by specs, I mean things like stating that the Prarie has a fan assisted oil cooler, BS, it's just an oil cooler - no fan assistance) and their opinions tend to be a little biased. This is a general overall consensous. However, I think that this test was pretty accurate. I'm not calling the 325 Magnum a lemon, it was a decent machine. But decent is all it was. The Prarie (kudos to Kawasaki) so far is a far superior 300 class machine (290cc)in just about every aspect.

I never had any "real" trouble with my 325 (only had it 6 months), but there were a few issues with this unit that I thought, were down right bad. The 325 will vibrate your teeth out at low speeds. A buddy of mine road it once, and only once. he said he liked the tranny but the bike vibrated way too much for him to get back on it. He got back on his Suzuki (I believe it is a quad runner 230 - circa 1988, 2 wheel drive) and never touched mine again. The starter also seemed to stay engaged for about 2 seconds after the motor started. Polaris dealer said that there was no problem with it, although it was very anoying. The after market (Polaris brand) gas guage was a joke, it would not line up correctly when seated, you had to read it upside down. Problem, no, but again anoying. Fit and finish of the seat, and plastic was OK, but nothing like the Prarie. The plastic was not snapped all the way together and the front pieces would again, vibrate together, and the seat was seated more to one side off center of the quad. I didn't like the plastic black mud extensions (or whatever they're called) on the fenders, I broke one by backing into a stick. The stick was so dry rotted that it broke also. Cost of the black extension, $100 (no I didn't fix it!) The oil dipstick and fill was a pain. The dipstick appears to be in a good spot but it was hard to remove and install the dipstick and read the oil level on the dipstick, and there were no marking of low - normal - high, or anything like it. Changing the oil, I had to remove the skid plate, yes, big pain in the butt. The oil filter is located in a good spot though. Too many zerks to grease, a pain in the butt again. Oh yeah, no standard speedo or odometer. Odometer is perfect for knowing when to do maintenance. The rear brake pedal is a joke. Again, the dealer said there was no problem. I could not hardly stop the quad with just the rear brake. I also don't like that there was no accessory outlet on the 325, and didn't like the location of the battery.

I'm a nit picky person, as you can tell. These are the bad points that I've encountered with the 325. With all of these bad points, the bike is actually a decent quad. Great 4 wheel drive, great floor boards and racks, easy to use tranny selector and best of all, it never left me high and dry on a trail.

The Prarie on the other hand, well, here goes. There is no vibration to this bike at all. You can rev the motor up as much as you like (in nuetrual) and nothing vibrates. Put the choke on, turn the key, hit the starter button, and it starts up and purrs.....It's not really broken it yet, so it does seem to take a while longer to warm up than the 325. The standard gas guage is excellent(read this polaris, "standard"). The oil dipstick is covered by a plastic cover but is easily removed, and the dipstick is clearly marked for oil level. The oil filter however is behind the cover, which you have to remove about 5 screws to get to it. Not a real show stopper. The mud extensions are like rubber. Boy what a concept! Very flexible! Speedo, odometer, and accessory outlet are "standard" (again, polaris read, "standard"). Brakes are fine, front and rear hand brakes work very nice. Wish this unit had engine braking though. The power of this quad is excellent for the 290cc motor. It feels like a 350 class machine (compared to the 325 magnum). The overall fit and finish of the Prarie is truly excellent. All of the plastic fits perfectly toghether. The seat fits the plastic and frame perfect. The undercarriage is not fully protected like the 325, but, it would be hard to damage anything from the looks of it.

So, what's my take on the two machines? I'm sure you know by reading this post. There's only about $100 difference between the two (Prarie is cheaper) and I wish that I would have bought the Kawasaki to begin with. But, you live and learn. I will not post anything like "polaris sucks" or "kawasaki rules" because both of these manufacturers put out quality products. Polaris just needs to do a little more quality control. It may have been just the unit that I bought, or for that matter, it may have been who I bought it from. Would I buy another Polaris ATV? Yes. I would just give a better look-see before I bought it.

I will say this, "the Prarie is a keeper"! I like it very much, I ride with a Honda Fourtrax 300 4X4 and a Suzi quad runner 230, both of them are really impressed with the new Prarie. Keepin my finger crossed!

Old 02-09-2000, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

I appologize for getting off track in the above post. I posted quite a few bad points about the 325, and none about the Prarie. The prarie does have some short comings. No fan for the oil cooler, metal floor boards instead of the composite ones on Polaris ATVs, the composite racks are not near as nice as Polaris's (better bungie hook-ups on the polaris), and the rear brake drum needs to be hidden within the wheel. That's about it.

I know that I'll probably get some grief, so let me have it!

Old 02-09-2000, 06:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dog, you say, "I know that I'll probably get some grief, so let me have it!"

From the past history of postings on the Forum, your statement appears a conservative, but accurate, prediction!

Nevertheless, I agree with your post where you say all ATV's have something to offer; none is necessarily "bestest."

The absence of a fan-assist for your Prairie 300's oil cooler (true, the magazine's sloppy reporting is inexcusable) doesn't seem a disadvantage to me; Kawasaki Bayou 300's don't even have an oil cooler standard of any sort; nor do either 300 Prairies or Bayous have any switch/fan motor/wiring problems.

Your post rises above the average for several reasons. You state not only your opinion, but the basis for your opinion in specific detail, comparing and contrasting actual features (e.g., oil dipstick access and design, maintenance requirements, etc.) between the quads you discuss. Further, your assessments are based upon your own actual personal experience, having owned and ridden both machines (instead of, "I heard from my friend, who has a friend whose half-brother's brother-in-law said . . .," or "'Fantasy Island ATV Review' magazine said . . .").

Finally, whether readers agree with your conclusions or not, you provide a rich field for potential rewarding discussion. I look forward to this learning opportunity, hoping it remains civil.

Tree Farmer

Old 02-09-2000, 09:05 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your honest insight. I guess my reason for stating I'll get some greif is becuase past experience tells me that whenever you say something bad or negative about a quad that someone else has had nothing but positive things to say about it, they generally lash back. That's fine, I can take it. But like I stated, I would have no problems buying another Polaris as my next quad. I'll just do a little more research next time.

Springfield is just around the corner from me, glad to see locals getting involved here.

Thanks....

Old 02-09-2000, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prarie,dog,I thought you did an excellant job explaining the likes/dislikes of both quads.Even though I own a Sportsman,I found your posts to be unbiased.Maybe the magazines need to hire you,or would that be concidered the ''Polictically Incorrect'' thing to do?====BILL

Old 02-09-2000, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

If you liked the 300 prarie you would downright love the 400. All the same qualities you listed plus, stock aluminum wheels,a trick digital dash and a water cooled (fan assisted)391cc motor, that the bike was originaly designed around. My dad has 1200 miles on his 300 4x4 and loves it. I am just as satisfied with My 400 4x4 at 1300 miles. In my neck of the woods a 400 4x4 goes for $5500. Which I believe is closer to the price of the 325 mag. The 300 was going for $4850 last I checked.
Happy quading........

Old 02-09-2000, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

If you liked the 300 prarie you would downright love the 400. All the same qualities you listed plus, stock aluminum wheels,a trick digital dash and a water cooled (fan assisted)391cc motor, that the bike was originaly designed around. My dad has 1200 miles on his 300 4x4 and loves it. I am just as satisfied with My 400 4x4 at 1300 miles. In my neck of the woods a 400 4x4 goes for $5500. Which I believe is closer to the price of the 325 mag. The 300 was going for $4850 last I checked.
Happy quading........