Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Belt deflection check

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know how to check my belt deflection.I took the cover off last weekend and the belt looked pretty loose to me although I have not seen other ones.Should I check it while idling?In gear?Please let me know cause my service manual is on backorder and I wouldn't want to have trouble with it in the woods.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2002, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

make sure belt is all the way to top of driven pully, if not,put tranny in neutral and rotate driven pulley until it is.

pushing with a force of 13lb, on top of belt, between pulleys, place straightedge on top of belt between pulleys and measure deflection. it should be .87 to 1.06 inches.

This is paraphrased from the manual, I've never done it. My quad runs fine. I should do this before I go to hatfield mcoy with a group of Honda only owners (they are devout).

I think if you push hard enough, you will suck the belt down the driven pulley. If you only push with 13 pounds though, and it goes far, fix it.

Belt service limit is 1.13 inches (replace if skinnier). Put a shim in the driven pulley to tighten it. Every .004" of total shim thickness reduced, tightens deflection about .051". Shims come in .024", .039", and .055". I gave the english numbers here, the manual lists them metric ones too.

some people say you can spread the driven pulley with a soft end of a slip joint pliers until the belt goes to the bottom and allows you to flip it over the drive pulley and remove it.

Old 02-18-2002, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

I was curious , is the "driven pulley" the back pulley , also where do you get the shims ? Is it very hard to put the shims in ?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 02-18-2002, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

Uhh.... It's a good thing that Nyroc is on our side and didn't buy a griz [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2002, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Part Numbers for the Shims are as follows
92026-1569 = .6mm
92026-1565 + 1.0 mm
92026-1570 = 1.4 mm

NYROC I just had my belt adjusted and they removed the shims to decrease the tension and added a .6 to set it within specs. It had a 1.4 in it. So i would say you take away to take away deflection and add shims to add deflection. And your belt will look loose on the pulleys because the drive pulley comes to rest and the belt will be in the low speed position in the drive pulley which is lower inside the pulley itself. By the way you can order these shims from 1-877-797-2453 you can order any part here. This is Kawasaki Wholesale all that is required is a credit card, money order and on some parts COD. I ordered a front steering knuckle from these guys and had it 3 days after I ordered it. They also have the mysterious hard to get air filters in stock. NYROC I like your site when you come to WV let me know and we'll hook up and ride. trying to get an organized ride going here in the spring. I have some pics to add to my site but my dial up here is getting worse waiting on Charter to install my Broadband so I can upload my pics to my site, until then I have to suffer.
Hey guys found out something new today a friend of mine has a 700 Pullaris and it blew the converter. He's having to get pins in his shin bone as a result, his brother took his apart and the nut was about 20 - 25 ft lbs below the specified torque so he had to tighten. If you have any friends riding these things you might want to have them check their converter tightness as his brother does not think this was a freak incident. But hey this is why we bought Kawasaki.

Old 02-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the correction, Dustin, I guess I was watchin the tube and said that backwards. I am gonna edit that post so no one reads the error and blames me for the mistake.

Yeah, I hear you about that dialup. I have a cable modem, which gives me 2mbs download speed, and 384kbs upload speed.

My atv website is hosted on my own PC, along with 3 other websites. I got a free host record, atv.dnsalias.com, to point to my ip address and bingo, I have my own web site. I guess there is a little bit of web server and html knowldge required to do it too, but it is really not hard, whether you have linux or windows2000. I have an SMC cable/DSL router which allows me to use multiple PCs on one internet connection. It even has wireless, in case I have a PC too far (or too hard) to wire directly. It also provides some firewall security.

I would be glad to share my viewer script with anyone, but you need to have direct IP (someone else on the internet has to be able to ping you). DSL in rochester does not give you that (I guess I don't know what charter is, so I can't tell you).

Yeah, I am real happy with my kawi. I am using Synthetic in it now. It is an awesome quad, and I want to get the most life out of it, even though I put big tires on it, which works against the drivetrain longevity.

Old 02-19-2002, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks fellow Kawi owners,I really love these forums,they're the best to find out anything on quads,better than dealers!Nyroc,I'm gonna check my belt tomorrow hope it's still good.Everyone around here thinks that since it's not a HONDA something is bound to go wrong with it.I love to proove them wrong just like when they said there was no way it weighed 600lbs for a 650 while their 450's weigh just as much plus they don't really like just seeing my tailight fade away in the distance.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]