Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Just bought 650 - seeking refuge (and tire advice)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 07:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up my Prarie today. I havn't got a chance to ride it much, just in circles. Can't wait for spring so I can go on some trips. I hope the guys in the Yamaha forum aren't too upset with me, I was all set to buy a Grizz but talked myself into the Kawi. I'm anxious to try out the suspension, so far it seems really good and I think I'll be happy that I chose the solid axle over IRS. The thing I like best about the Prarie is how tuff it's built. It has a real/functional bumper, excellant CV boot and radiator protection, and lots of plastic sheilds behind the wheels to protect stuff. Every 4-wheeeler should be built like this one. The engine brake still suprises me, it works very well with no lag or hesitaion before it kicks in, it's like riding a manual in a low gear, when you let off the gas you about go flying.

So far my only complaint is those stupid little mud flaps that extend under the floorboard. I about ripped my fenders off pulling forward off my trailer when I got it home. Some snips and a hacksaw will take care of them. My only other gripe is that I had to pay $50 for a stupid hitch... ...and another thing I need to adjust the back brakes, after only a few stops the lever is almost bottoming out. Do you turn both wingnuts an equal amount or adjust the foot and handbrake independantly? It does like to be rolling when you shift to 4x4, I noticed the clicking sounds going in and out of 4x4 too but those seem to be the norm.

I'm going to replace the tires in hopes that my wheels won't get all dented up. Very little mud around here so I'm thinking of going with Dirt Devels. Should I get the Dirt Devels or the Dirt Devel XTs? The XTs have longer lugs, does that mean that they will last longer or does it just make them better in the mud? Also, since I'll be using my factory wheels, is there any problem with using 26x10x12/25x12x12? I don't want my tires sticking out so far that I get mud flung all over me but I like the tuff look of the bigger/wider size. If anyone has any other suggestions for a good 6-ply all around tire let me know.

Picking a quad was a hard decision. You really can't test them out much before you buy, and can't really trust the magazines. This site was tons of help, I've been reading every 650, Grizz, and Vinson post for about the last two months. The experiances of people who actually own the machines is the most valuable resource I found in helping make my decision. What I'm trying to say is, "Thanks guys".

Old 03-16-2002, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

yer welcome

Old 03-16-2002, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

I too considered the Grizzly. But the center of gravity and shorter width swayed me away. It sure looks great though. I am very happy with my 650 and I a plan on getting a new set of wheels and rims specifically for mudding.

Daryn

Old 03-17-2002, 12:05 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Very nice machine! I have two neighbors who have purchased 650s in the last month. They both HATE the stock tires! I have heard from many on the forum that the Goodyear Mudrunner in the 26" size really made the machine MUCH better. I like both the Mudrunner and the Titan 589. Be safe and good luck with your tire decision.

Old 03-17-2002, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

50 !!!! bucks for the trailer hitch???

boy i'd be going back to your dealer and asking for 20 of those back
those hitches are only 29.95 so they took you on that one

Old 03-17-2002, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

if you don't do much mud riding look into the Maxxis AllTrax....they are great for trail riding without much mud. A step up in traction would be the bearclaws. they are what i have and i recommend them to everyone if they want a great general purpose tire. If you have more mud then you could look into the Dirt Devils/589s/or MudBugs.

prettymuch any aftermarket tire will be a step up from the stockers. Eccept for maybe Blackwater [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

later
cart

Old 03-17-2002, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider

Was that $50.00 for the hitch plus installation?

About the brakes, adjust the foot and hand brake seperately, you want them both snug, but not to where the other one has slack in it before it engages. (I think, good question)

Old 03-17-2002, 04:39 AM
Pro Rider

Congats on your new 650, it's a fine machine, good as any of them. I'm looking for new tires too, but not really mud tires, everybody talks about getting taller tires, but I've thought about getting shorter tires ( about a 1-1 1/2 inches shorter) so it would handle better on the tight trails that I ride.

Old 03-17-2002, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks to all for the congrats on my new 650. I initially was going to get a Sportsman 500 or 700. My main purpose for an ATV was for hunting. But I also have access to some trails right outside my house and I really fell in love with the 650 and its speed. But I will need a good tire for a combination of trails and mud. I do have a friend who wants to try to school me in mud with his 500 HO. I also plan to use my ATV for muddy fields during spring and fall goose seasons in additions to my sporting around. I spent a lot of time last night researching 589's, Dirt Devils's, and Rawhides. Anyone have any experience. I still want to maintain my out-of-the-hole speed, dirt trail driveability, and have a good mud tire. What are your thoughts?

Daryn

Old 03-17-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Chainman. I still have the stock tires on my 650, and they do suck. A couple of guys I ride with have Bearclaws on their 450s and have had very good luck with them. Another couple of guys have Titan 589 M/Ts. Very impressive traction in the mud. The bearclaws seem to wear real good as one of my buds has 4000kms on his and they have only worn about 3/8 of an inch. Don't know how the 589s will wear as the guys who have them have just put them on. I think I am gonna go with the 26 inch Bearclaws as they are about 100 bucks cheaper than the 589s up here in Canada. Note to all the guys, I put Amsoil 20w50 synthetic V-twin oil in my front diff and it seems to go into 4wd way easier than it used to. Also, the front diffy lock seems to grab better too. Have fun on your 650 Chainman. Once you break that sucker in and get to crack er wide open, you're gonna be hooked for life!!!!

Quick Reply: Just bought 650 - seeking refuge (and tire advice)