Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Modified Prairie today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 12:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished putting on all my mods today. Last week I put on Black ITP magnums with 26' Bearclaws. On the intake side I drilled 6 one inch holes in the flat part of the airbox then popped in uni vents. 6 Uni vents barely fit in this space, I'm considering drilling more but heard they (uni vents) may pop out of the convex lid. After doing that I installed a new UNI filter (yes, they now make one for the 650), it fits better than the stock one and I can tell that it will flow much better just by looking at it. I bought BEARMAN's Procircuit exhaust that had only been run on a Dyno. It fit excelltly, I have one word to descibe it, LOUD! For the carbs I installed a Dyno jet kit, this was a lot of work so I hope I don't have to re-jet. I will take it riding tomorrow and let eveyone know what kind of power increase I got etc. Bearman is in the process of making an airbxx lid that is modified for better flow, I can't wait. He's a real nice guy and a pleasure to deal with also. I'll report back tomorrow.--Thumpin 650

Old 04-12-2002, 07:07 AM
Trailblazer

It sounds like you have been busy!

As I recall those rims are offset more than stock. Am I right? Does the machine still fit in the back of a full size pickup with the added width of the rims and tires?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 04-12-2002, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider

wow!! i cant wait to hear how it runs. so i take it that the prarie WASN'T? as fast as you wanted? lol. that quad has such a good takeoff now that i think you just might want to invest in wheelie bars, to save your rear rack, lmao! good riding, and try to keep it on all 4.

my pictures

Old 04-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer

so i take it that the prarie WASN'T? as fast as you wanted? lol

i dont care what type of motor comes in a bike (quad or street), the fun of owning something like these machines (other than going riding and mudding) is doing little things to squeeze a few more horses out of it.
kaw could thke the 1100 cc street bike motor and put it in a quad, and there would still be people (including me) that would still mod it to get a couple more mph out of it. it seems against nature to have just a stock bike. lol
my .02
ninjazx

Old 04-12-2002, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

I took it out today and I'm very happy with the mods. I encounted a little problem though. The motor would hesitate (or cough) a little if I stabbed the throttle when I was doing around 25 MPH (in the midrange). I figured I was running a little rich so to be sure I taped up the UNI vents and put back in the stock filter to obstruct air flow. Sure enough the problem got worse. Next I put back in the higher flowing UNI filter and removed the six UNI vents (leaving open holes) to improve air flow. The hesitation went away and there was even more power. So i think I'm a little rich. I just bought another 6 pack (of UNI vents, not Beer) and drilled 6 more holes, now I have 12 total and the flow should be about right. Has anyone else had to fine tune after adding a Dynojet kit? I'm considering going to the Fouth notch on the needle (from the 5th which is what's suggested) but I think more holes in the air box will work just as well (12 total). I'm riding at about 2500 feet, anyone else have this problem?

Old 04-13-2002, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

Great mods man, I will surely make some on my Big Kawi in the nexte months, How did everyting cost you?? Didi you modifie your snorkel??? this would surely give you more aire flow!!

Those this bearman have a web site??

Have fun ridding your monster!!!

Old 04-13-2002, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

To answer Bonza's question about the rims and wheels-- They did widen the quad but not by much, maybe an inch on either side. I don't have a pick up so I can't answer your question.
MudKicker-- The tires and rims ran $700 to my door all aired up and ready to go, I got them for East Kentucky motorsports. Bearman hooked me up and sold me the exhaust for $300 (it's $480 at Dennis Kirk)delivered, it had only been used on a Dyno and looked new to me, he was cool enough to throw in the quiet core insert for free. The Jet kit and and filter were about $100. The Quad is much nicer now (and funner) and I may throw on spring and shids once may bank account recovers from that hit. Now I will have to replace the Plastic air box cover because I forgot to give the screw a turn after experimenting with the airflow, it blew off on the way home--oh well. Bearman's websight is www.diamondgracing.com I think it's under construction. He won't have the New airbox lid for a couple months though.

Old 04-13-2002, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Hi thumpin650
Thank you for the kind words and I am pleased that you like the pro circuit exhaust. Our air box lid should be ready in early june, I will keep everyone informed. Its not unusual to fine tune jetting from machine to machine, no 2 quads are totally the same. We have many more products coming out in the next few months.
Bearman

Old 04-13-2002, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Hey thumpin, same thing with mine I mean the SAME thing, the needle's in the 5th notch are just too rich,I live and ride about 1500-3000 ft above sea level and mine would hesitate too, I use the 132 and 136 mains, air screw's 3 turns out and needle's in the 4th notch with 5 uni-vents, strong and smooth now. love the extra power don't you?

Old 04-13-2002, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

One more thing, if you have drilled more holes I wouldn't move to the 4th notch now or you may be lean then, with 12 univents I would go one size bigger on the main's and see what happen's. let me know I may put more in mine and jet up some more.

Quick Reply: Modified Prairie today!