Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 400 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shopping a '96 4x4 with maybe 1000 miles on it, for the wife who insists on auto trans. Is there engine braking? How much should I pay, what goes wrong that needs a close look, will there be an unlockable front driveshaft from Warn or someone to allow 2WD? If you have one of these quads, what are the pluses and minuses? Appreciate any assistance.

Old 05-04-2002, 05:41 AM
Pro Rider

Since the prarie 400's first came out as a 1997 year model (atv of the year for 97) I would have to guess that the one your looking at was bought in late 96?

I had a 97 and traded it for a 99 since that was the year they added a better shifter and digital speedo along with a revised transmission.

My 97 sounded like a helecopter hovering when it was at idle. Don't be alarmed if this one sounds the same, it's the cvt.

As long as the bike is clean with no visible abuse and bought from the original owner of whom you feel didn't rag it, I would say get it if the price is ~ $3000.00 or less. You can check kelly blue book for a better feel on it's value. Just remember that somewhere between trade in and retail is what you will usually end up paying.

This model has not aftermarket gismo's that would allow you to take it out of 4wd. It is however an extremely easy turning 4wd that should pose a problem.

There is no "engine breaking", but there is plenty of driveling breaking that slows it down when you let off the gas. This is all I need for flat land riding, you might need more depending on the terrain you ride in. Expect to put on a front brake pads if you ride mountains alot.

With 1000 miles you might want to start off with a new belt so you'll know its fresh and right. I just replaced my 1999s' belt at 3300 miles and realized that I should have done it a lot sooner. It takes off like new again.

p.s. I see you ride a 450, don't be surprised if she gives you a run for your money!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2002, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

My bro has a 99 400. It is pretty gutsy. Very easy steering. The trans is quiet and shifts perfect. Extremely smooth ride.

He does wish it had a 2x4 selector, and maybe could use a bit more engine brake.

He is so impressed that he is selling his auto shift quad, and his RV, to buy another prairie. Everyone at his house fights to ride the Prairie (except the 5 year old, who prefers an LT50).

Old 05-06-2002, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

This model has not aftermarket gismo's that would allow you to take it out of 4wd. It is however an extremely easy turning 4wd that should pose a problem.

oops, what I meant is the 4wd steering SHOULDN'T pose a problem.

Old 05-07-2002, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

WOW! You guys are the MAN! That is a bunch of great feedback, sounds like it is just what she needs. A mechanic confirmed all of your comments, noted the turning radius is wider because Kaw engineers are very conservative about safety issues. In other words, it could turn tighter, but they were afraid some numbnutz would flip it by turning sharp at speed. My wife needs reliability, comfort, ease of operation, and simplicity. I need to haul elk with it if the hunting gods smile on me. I'm pretty regular on the Honda forum, and by comparison you have been really helpful, polite and considerate. I appreciate all your help. Now I just have to convince the dealer his asking price of $4250 is unrealistic. Or I'll watch for someone else in western CO or eastern UT to sell a clean one. If that means you, let's hear from you.

Old 05-07-2002, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

Sosh
Just seen this thread I have a 97 model (ie 96 was when I bought it, with beautiful green front and gray rear plastic)and it has 10,961 miles on it. It has seen it's days of belts and wear shoes on the clutches. However the case and the block is still sealed as is the head. I am getting a little bit of smoke when I start it now but hey it has 10K on it so I will allow it. It has been ran with synthetic oil all it's life. The only thing about the 97 that they changed in later years was the front steering knuckles notice the 97 has cast and the later models have aluminum steering arms. I need one of these steering knuckles for my current 97 as my son broke the one on the one I own but however the overall quad has been an excellent 4 wheel drive. It has ran with 589 tires since they came out and I have went places on the side of appalachin hills that those lovely Recons could not. As for comparison a friend bought a Polaris 425 a month or so after I bought the Kaw and he ia on his second Polaris the other lost the tranny at around 7400. His new one is on about 4,000 and he claims he wished he would have bought a 400 Kaw instead of another Polaris.

Old 05-13-2002, 03:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a question, My brother just purchased a 97' 400 Prairie and it looks new. However, my cousin liked the bike, So he went and tracked down an 01'. The 01 400 Prairie, has much more power than my brothers 97'.

My question is WHY?

We are all used to "sport/high performance quads(2wd) and really don't know $hit about utility's and their Automatic tranny's, HELP!

Biggerisbetter.

Old 05-13-2002, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The engine and trans were updated in 99, ( more HP and redesigned tranny. )

Old 05-13-2002, 05:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

OKay, Why?... Was their something wrong?or was it just updated to compete with the new models coming out. The engine/tranny does make ALOT of noise at idle, Is there a fix to this? is something out of adjustment? or is this typical of the year model. If so, how can it be upgraded to the "new" standards.

ALLOT of ?'s, but I would appreciate the info: Thanks.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 05-13-2002, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Knocking sounds are just worn shoes on the primary pulley. Don't take it apart just for that.

I read on a topic around here somewhere (or through the fence) that the 97/98 models had shorter life belts and higher cvt system maintenance. A lot of people that have 99 and later really brag about how well theirs has held up.

I really think that they needed quite a lot more ponies to try to compete with the polaris stuff, and the grizzly. I don't believe there was anything else wrong with the engine, other than power. The 99 is a four valve head, you guys with 97s can maybe tell us if yours is a two valve head?

The latest ones are best, since the plastic racks are easy to break, the newer ones have nice metal racks. The steel steering knuckes are not nearly as tough as the aluminum ones on the 2000 and later. I feel the steering knuckles can be interchanged, as I had one in my hands and tried to put it on a 99. It would take two, and swap calipers right to left (as far as I could tell). It looks like a couple of minor other things (tie rods) to mess with and you could have the better knuckles on the older 400's.

Biggerisbetter, I don't think your bro has a pile of junk. It is just not as refined as the 01 is. He got it cheaper right?

Quick Reply: Prairie 400 questions