Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Filter oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 11:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you folks using for filter oil? I bought a litre of Bel-Ray (blue). I cleaned and re-oiled the filters on both quads and today. Took the Prairie out for a ride and it ran like hammered dog doo-doo. Came back to the house and re-patted the filter, thinking it had too much oil still in it. I got very little oil out of it. Took it out to my "high speed" straight away. 52 down the hill and 49 up the hill. Both directions the bike was cutting out at top speed. Did a plug check afterwards and they were BLACK! Pulled the filter and tried it again. 65 downhill and 56 uphill. Absolutely no cutting out! This is about the same as it has been running on the factory oil job.
Obviously the Bel-Ray has really degraded the ability of the filter to pass air. Should I be using a lighter filter oil? Who makes a really good oil? Since it hasn't rained here in months it is beyond dusty and I'm kinda worried about using something too thin.

Old 05-11-2002, 02:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I use a K&N filter on my Tecate and it works fine. I use No-toil on my KX500 and it works fine. The trick I use that when I clean the No-Toil filter, I let the alcohol dissipate from the oil on the filter, then I install it and run the bike. I decided to use the No-Toil because of the ease of cleaning it. I hate kerosene! The K&N filter, i just follow directions. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2002, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

wolley,

I personally like the unifilter oil on foam filters, but have no opinion on the others. It just has worked good for me so I never changed. One good thing to do is after oiling, lightly, set the filter out in the sun for 20 minutes to let it spread evenly and let eccess run off.

Over oiling a filter is very common. Even the K&N filters come over oiled from the factory. Just take your time with it wash it dry it completly, then oil it and let it stand for 20 minutes to an hour.

Old 05-11-2002, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

I use a very limited amount of maximas FFT(foam filter treatment). It's about like glue, traps dust well. I've done unfiltered tests vs stock foam filter(for honda 350) I wasn't able to discern a difference on my standard hillclimb, or on top speed. The actual amount that I use is a bit over a tablespoon.

Old 05-11-2002, 10:51 PM
Range Rover

I think I just learned a valuable lesson. Don't over oil the element! I still haven't figured out how to use a heavy bulk oil like the Bel-Ray and not over do it though. I did buy some PJ-1 for foam elements and it is many, many times easier to use.
Thanks for the replies.