Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

First real mx race for my lakota!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went sunday to a MX track in Baton Rouge, La last sunday and finally got a race in with the lakota ready.

Thier were a assortment of quads but my focus was on three of them that were pilotted by some real good riders on them. One was a raptor widened out to 50" and had pipe, jetted and air box mod.. One was a 400EX widened to 47" also with pipe jetted and air box mod. and the other was a bone stock raptor.

First the hole shots surprised me, I don't know if they were playing around or just had bad starts but I took 2nd behind the EX at the first corner. I could hold the two raptors off for a couple laps but a couple over jumped jumps gave them openings to get by me. And once they get a couple quads ahead of you, you stand no chance.

On the second hole shot I took 4th, but I was rite on the stock raptor. I almost landed on him the first couple jumps so I let up just a second and thats all he needed to get some distance from me and I couldn't real him in.

This track was about a mile long but was broken up into small sections. So I believe if I had the 12T sprocket on I may have done a bit better but not sure if I could have kept up with those raptors and the one 400EX. They had such accelleration off the corners, this is where they were beating me. I felt a little flat coming out, but doing plug checks I was jetted perfect as far as I could tell.

But all in all the lakota ran real fast, I could run away from the rest of them but just couldn't get as fast as the front 3.

Jumping and woops on the stock suspention was real good, no complaints. The shreader rear tires didn't seem to get the traction as the others, but worked graet.

I have never ran this track before so for what cards I delt my self I think I came out pretty good.

To race the lakota you have to do every thing rite and have no mistakes to come out on top. Those quads coming to the line with 35 40+ hp can take you easily in the straights but as far as factoring the hole track in it's not that much of a mis match.

Old 06-04-2002, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

gaff,
glad you got a race in..it does'nt really sound like it was quite fair as far as the classes go though..A big diffrence in displacement. but sounds like you ran a good race, & made a real good show against larger displacement quads. I guess that they have a run what ya brung class for the quads, instead of regular classes like bikes. I guess in time it will grow to be more even. sounds like you had fun.

Old 06-04-2002, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Yah I had a blast.

Quad classes are broken up to 2 stroke open or 4 stroke open, so thats it.

Some places like the gncc and the TQRA series out in texas do have classes like 3500cc and below run together then 351cc and above run together.

The only real classing we have is like we had a 250EX race as well, but we gave him a half lap head start and then the gates would drop for us.

They offered me a head start as well but I don't want any thing but heads up racing. I like to gauge my self not only against the bigger quads but towards my age. (I had atleast 15 years on all of them)

Pulling off a over all 4th is pretty amazing from where I was sitting, but expect better as I find some races.

Old 06-04-2002, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Way to go, Gaff!! Glad to hear everything went well and no one got hurt. I bet they were pretty surprised at the Lakota. I know most people that see mine run are and I know mine isn't as fast as yours. Keep up the good work. Give 'em he!!.

Old 06-04-2002, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats, you done real good

Old 06-04-2002, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Good job gaff! You must be a great rider

I remember my last harescramble race in 2000, me and another guy are the only ones that didnt have red 400ex's in the class. I had a warrior and the other guy had a mojave.. He broke and I was just takin my time, he was the only one I was shooting for..