Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave carb problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed a Dynojet kit and Uni pod filter tonight. I put the needle clip on the 3rd notch and a 130 main jet. I am close to sea level, running the stock pipe for now.

It's hard to start and bogs down when you hit the gas, sometimes cutting off. With the throttle wide open it runs fine. I've tried adjusting the mixture screw with no success, any ideas? I'm thinking maybe move the needle clip up one.

This carb stuff sucks, I hook up my Cannondale to my laptop and load the injection settings and adjustments through the computer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2002, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

The air/fuel mixture screw should be 2 turns out. Sounds like you need to put the c-clip on the 4th notch if it's cutting out (lean) or if it's flooding out (rich) it should go to the second notch. The 3rd notch is almost always good thow.

I would put it on the second notch first.I would also look at using the DJ126 main with the stock exhaust, the 130 is most likely to rich. Not to mention it's a pain to trouble shoot needle hiegth with the main being a bit rich.

Old 07-06-2002, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks,

Went to the 2nd notch with no luck, went back to the 3rd with a 126 and some tweaking of the mixture screw it is now running much better, and starts first kick. Still seems there is a slight hesitation when you hit the gas, but it doesn't really bog down. Next I'll be getting a pipe, probably IDS2, will that require a 130 or 134 main?

Old 07-06-2002, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

My thoughts here are I would go maybe to 1 3/4 turns out on the air/fuel mixture screw but probably thats as far as I would go. I have had this same problem with the mojave and the lakota kits, although always had the IDS2 to go with it.

I found with the reccomended jetting per what ever mods, that the kits were very rich. I had the same problems where I had a bit of hessitation or flat spot if you will when I just popped the throttle while just sitting there in nuetrual. What I found believe it or not, that with the air/fuel mixture screw at 2 turns out and the C-clip on the needle at the 3rd notch that if I kept lowering the main the response got better, the flat spot at the bottom went away and the accelleration from 2/3rds throttle up was nearly twice as quick.

Poeple get very confused on believing the bigger main you install the more power you will make. This is so untrue. You are trying to achieve a certain air/fuel mixture at every level of throttle, this is what makes power. If I remember rite doesn't the moe come with a 122 main as well, if so this is what I would put in next, it will clean up the bottom more.

I also believe that the 126 will be good with the IDS2. Some have had taken the 126 where others took the 130, no rime nor reason for it, they all performed the same.

Infact my personal quad before internal mods took 8 sizes smaller main, but ran better than most I have seen. Where alot of poeple have claimed 4 sizes smaller worked for them.

The valve adjustment has a good bit to do with it, not that you'll feel it while riding but has a good bit to do with the valocity threw the carb. Also making sure the air filter and air box restrictions are limited can push the main up one size.

If you put a smaller main in thats cool, but leave the 126 in with the IDS2, only if the plug is white after you put the pipe on would I go up on the main.

From the time the plug starts looking a little tan down to where it realy is tan is about 3 jet sizes. Thats why you will always hier keep going down untill the plugs white and then go back up one. Most poeple think it's getting tan so they must be rite. Then they start messing with the needles. You can't realy figure out what the needles doing unless your spot on or lean. Then when you move the C-clip you can feel a huge difference.

Well hope that helped some.

Old 07-07-2002, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Now I have another question. I've had the Mojave a couple months now and twice it has backfired when starting and blown the carb off the intake boot. First time my son had to walk home and leave the quad in the woods overnight, It happened again today. Any idea what could be causing this?

Old 07-07-2002, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

There is many answers to some possible reasons but the real reason is probably your intake valves are tight. After the first couple tank fulls you should adjust your valves. Then probably around 25 hours later they will need adjusted again. This is very common in all new quads also very important for the longevity of the quad.

The valves and threaded adjusters ware very quickly at first because of the new relationship between the two. On the four valve head machines it seems that the valve to seat relationship shows the most ware at first making the valves tight for the first 2 to 3 adjustments. Then the ware is focussed on the valve stem to rocker relationship making them loose. This is all do to the high revving capabillities of the four valve heads. Just as a note the two valve heads are normally loose doue to the lighter valve springs and a much lower rev to them.

After your first couple go arounds with valve adjustments you will see it's kinda a pain in the butt and no 5 minute ordeal (not to mention on average the dealer will charge you about $200 to do it) Get your self a compression tester. Taking compression test here and there tell you when the valves need adjusting. Nothings worse than pulling all that crap off juwst to find it doesn't need adjusted or is only a .001" off or so.

Even with your speed, doing compression test will tell you spot on how your combustion chaimbers efficency is. Very very not spoken much of tool to judge your machines healthyness.

75% of the complaints in here I see about the moe are top end or cilynder issues. Almost all could have been avoided by periodicall compression test. It takes no more than 5 minutes and the tool goes for $20.

Also very rarely does two compression tester give the same readings. So buy your own and use your own.

Old 07-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks,

I had a feeling it may be the valves. I bought this thing used off Ebay and have no ides when or what maintenance was done. Fortunatly it's a 2002 so they only had a few months to abuse it, but believe me the way it looked it was abused. That's the first and last time I ever bought anything on Ebay. I never did recieve everything I was supposed to and Ebay has now suspended their membership. I need to get a manual (one of the items I never recived) and do a valve adjustment soon.

Old 07-07-2002, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Man that sucks. I feel pretty bad about buying anything off ebay. I have got some good stuff but I did buy a bike off there and would never do it again.

I sent you a private message on the clearence and how to do it. This should get yall threw it pretty easily. It probably has never been done if they just beat on it and sold it.

Don't worry you have the quad now, things can just get better for the moe now.

Old 07-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the help Gaf.

I adjusted the valves this evening, they where out of spec. It starts much easier now and seems to run better. We'll take it for a test ride tomorrow and see how it does.

Some of the parts I never recieved when I got the Mo are:

stock hood - has maier
headlight - I need this as we ride at night
Ignition switch and key - works fine without but would like for security
Tail light
mud flaps - no big deal

If anyone has any of these they want to sell send me a message.

It dod come with a durablue +4 axle
Douglas wheels
Front wheel spacers
and had Holeshot MX tires, I just put Bandit XC's on it.

Old 07-07-2002, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Man that is so good to here. I was hoping yall could turn that around for the better. Just realy happy for yall.

It does stink about the spares for that. Keep in mind the stock 01 and 02 hood for the lakota also fit the moe, same with the key switch. The lakotas hood is blue but I can hook you up with complete instruction from my buddy on painting quad plastic. It takes some time but man it looks good and last, well not sure how long it last because they all have lasted that I've seen.

Oh the tail lights are interchangable and I have some mud flaps, I have to wait and get home but the moe only has front mud flaps, I have front and rear, and they are new. I also have the brackets that fit the lower part of the mud flaps also new.

Best of luck thow.
gaff

Quick Reply: Mojave carb problem