Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

High or Low?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to poll some of you P650 riders to see which gear that you typically ride in and if you notice any difference on the trails. Is one easier on the belt or engine or is it really personal preference on the trails?

Old 07-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

I keep mine in LOW due to having a belt problem at 60 miles. I only use HIGH when on a wide open space like a gravel road or something like that. As long as the engine is not wound up for a long time, I choose to use LOW. If you are above 30 or 35, accept for a short period, I would use HIGH. All depends on what kind of riding you are doing. Woods, hills, & mud should always be riden in LOW!

Old 07-07-2002, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

How fast can you ride in low range?I would think that low would be just for slugging in the mud or towing a yard cart or the like ...

Old 07-07-2002, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

Good Question Metallikev! I have had mine upwards of 25 in low gear with tons of throttle left. I kept it in low since I hated to stop, shift it to high, go about a hundred yards, and shift to low again to climb a big hill. From what 2fat4moto says, I might just keep it in low since all of my riding (at least to date} is less than 35.

Old 07-07-2002, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

well..I was thinking that I would like a set of those c series rims and 589 tires ..so most of my riding is done under 30 mph..that might work out well..I just wonder what the long term effects of riding in low range might be??

Old 07-08-2002, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Low range probably %80 of the time. I use high range for blasting down fire roads and forestry access roads but that's about it. High range if I'm challenged to a race, and I don't care what the terrain is then! ! ! ! ! I love this thing! ! ! I think I should start carrying Kawie brochures around with me cause as soon as someone rides mine, they want one! ! !

Old 07-08-2002, 06:13 PM
Range Rover

It depends on the terrain you ride in.

Low gear = Mud, woods trails, bumpy slow trails 15-20 mph or under.
High gear = Gravel roads, fire roads, areas where you can open her up safely w/out serious strain to the body, suspension and/or frame (from hitting trees unable to make a turn b/c of speed).

I unknowing started using high all the time (first 200 miles). Now belt squeels in hi/low takeoffs w/ 615 miles. Now I use low all the time, except on dirt roads. You can tell the stress/strain on the motor better too by doing this and adjust your riding style better.

I've seen 35 mph with loads of torque pushing it, but the machine was revving really high. If your hitting 20+ for long periods of time, stop and put her in low and ride wheelies all day long.

Old 07-08-2002, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

I run mine hard in low keeping the motor way up in the R's. I do not peg it out, but just run the **** out of it. It is also alot more fun to me because it will power slide & handle better because motor is in more of a get up & go mode. I don't have even the least amount of belt noise under any circumstance. P650 pulled out Tundra & still works perfectly! I do use high on occasions, like where I said before, but not often.

Old 07-08-2002, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Well this is some good information that i did not know about?? The 650 is my old mans and it is not rode hard by anymeans (except when i drive it lol), but i think he does most of his riding in high range and most of it is under 45 km/h. So should he be using low range most of the time?? The bike now has just over 920km on it and today while i was out i noticed some belt squeeling when taking off. By the sounds this is from riding in high to much?? and it is still under warrenty so can it be fixed.
Sorry this is so long but i would just like to know so please help!!

Old 07-08-2002, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Need to ride in low. Manual says so. Yes, waranty will pay for one belt adjustment.

Quick Reply: High or Low?