Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 wheelie accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 02:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear guys say they can wheelie their p650 in low or high. Is that from a complete stop with NO body english.

I thought I would give it a try while moving around 7mph. I gripped the handlebars tight, stabbed the throttle and yanked back. WOW!! The front end seemed to rocket towards the sky. Having wheelied many times before, I knew that letting off then using throttle modulation would allow for a great wheelie. Much to my suprise when I let off, the front end continued to climb even higher, soon to reach a point that I knew was too far. The rear rack slammed the ground so hard that it was shoved forward about 1/2", bending the brackets under the rear fenders. After getting the throttle back to idle and hitting the rear brake, it came back down but it was too late. All the damage was already done! The black plastic is ripped, the rear of my rack is severely smashed and ground down by rubbing across the pavement. I got more than I bargained for with my quick run around the block.

After all the "excitement", I realized that I had placed my hands all the way to the inside of the grips and when I punched the throttle, the lever became stuck under my first finger and held it wide open just long enough for me to understand what was going on, but it was to late to recover. I am thankful that only my 650 was hurt and not me.

Old 08-22-2002, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

yep..its a wheelie monster,another fella in here tried it for the first time and ended up flat on his back

Old 08-22-2002, 10:33 PM
EXT
Trailblazer

Bummer I have a gas can holder on back and when I wheelie to far back it acts as a wheelie bar so no rack damage.It is bolted fast to my rear bumper and is quite solid!!

Old 08-23-2002, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

EXT, ditto on that. I made a gas can holder that holds 2, 1gallon gas cans. It has saved my bacon once already. I made a gas can holder for my buddy's Rubicon that holds 1, 2gallon gas can and it has saved his butt twice now. We have even joked around about putting a swivel caster on it as well!! If nothing else it would be a great conversation piece!!

Old 08-23-2002, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

Dude, do it again for a camera and sell the footage the the clinton news network[CNN] for cash on a story of how dangerous these large displacement quads are.

Old 08-23-2002, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Elrancho, I've seen the news video coverage! I recall when the media went after the 3 wheelers and managed to get all 3 wheelers federally outlawed. The video looks the same and circumstances are the same. The routine goes something like this:

1) More money than brains parent buys junior an inapproproiate toy for age to keep junior passified

2) More money than brains parent buys home camera to keep self
passified

3) The inevitable happens with junior and his inappropriate age toy while more money than brains parent films

4) More money than brains parent blames toy and makes sure that the
news media gets "full coverage"

5) Tree hugging, gun abolishing finatics got "real ammunition" now to say "I told you so" now outlaw those dangerous things and for gods sake keep them off our public lands for they are sure to run over a spotted owl

Old 08-23-2002, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

4wdfun, LOL, no doubt!!

Hey Crash, wear the battle scars proudly, I did a stand up wheelie in front of the entire wife's family reunion crowd. Got the scraped rear black plastic to prove it, even though I Herculined my racks and covered up those scratches. Luckily though the quad wasn't damaged to the level of yours. Also, I didn't have my finger getting stuck on the throttle to blame. HA! These bikes definitely have some power, can you imagine this engine in a 380lb sport quad??? Droooooooll....

Old 08-24-2002, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

guys, I haven't noticed anybody else with cams in their p650. I have them and absolutely love them. Now I only wait for the cdi box and I really need to have a liner sprayed on my racks to hide the wounds.

Old 08-24-2002, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Cams? Where did you get em, and what did they do for ya?

Old 08-25-2002, 08:50 AM
Trailblazer

nyroc, the power difference is immeasureable. It gave me tremendous gains in low and mid range, but top end is about the same for me.

I posted before that I have raced my friends '02 Raptor, and no matter who is driving which quad, my 650 is running 55-60 before ever being passed by the Raptor.

Mike Pendland has the cams available.

Quick Reply: P650 wheelie accident