Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KVF Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 06:46 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone... I'm a long time yamaha rider who just made the switch to Kawi. I just bought a '99 KVF400 4X4. I was a little nervous about it because it seems to have a lot more stuff on it to break than my Wolverine did, but I figured I'd give it a try. Afterall, all the Kawisaki riders I've spoken to seem to love their machines. Anyway, here is my question, and it's a simple one, if not totally stupid... how do you check the oil? I checked it last night, and I'm pretty sure it's too high. Mainly because it was almost at the top of the fill hole when I took the dipstick out. When checking the oil, are you supposed to screw the dipstick down to get your reading, or not? I plan on buying the repair manual next week, but I'd like to know about this before the weekend. And is there anything else I should know about this machine? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-30-2002, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds too high to me. Check your owners manual I have a KVF 650 and you cannot see the oil from the fill hole. You are supposed to screw the cap down tight to get a proper reading. I would get some of that out before you ride or it could create problems.

Have you ever see a turkey baster? It is a tube with a round ball at the end and you can suck some of your oil out with that or something similar. I saw one at an autoparts store for almost $5 (US), I went to Walmart and got a turkey baster (same thing) for less than $2. Not a bunch of money, but it can add up.

Old 08-30-2002, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

If the oil has a gas smell to it, change the oil. I've seen alot of machines that were hauled on trailers, and the fuel valve was left turned on. Bouncing on the trailer caused the carb to flood gas into the cylinder and leak down to the crankcase thus giving the impression that the oil was overfilled. BTW, I had a '98 KVF 400 and it was a great machine.

Old 08-30-2002, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

derekjes, my bro has a 99 400. It is extremely reliable, probably more so than any kawi yami or honda. It is much more powerful than any other 400, and starts easier than just about any other quad too. Rear brakes may squeak, ignore it. There was a belt recall on this model, the new belts have ribs on top of the belt. Belts last a very long time on this model.

The stock air filter needs to be replaced with a K&N as fast as possible, since the stock filter has a built in leak (which the previous owner should be greasing).

Put rear wheels from a 650 or later 400 on it, so you can use 12" tires all around. The selection is better for 12" tires.

If the racks com in contact with a tree or another quad (like 650) the 400 will loose severely since the racks can break easily. If I had an older 400. The first time a rack broke, I would replace it with a steel one from a later 400 (even if I had to modify it to fit). May run into problems with headlight mounts.

If you roll the 400, the steel front steering knuckles may bend, causing the brakes to not work as well. Just don't roll it. But if I were to roll an older 400 again, I would get the later model 400 aluminum steering knuckles (both at same time). It's not a direct fit but can be done by swapping calipers left to right, and drilling holes for the larger tie rods or useing later tie rods.

The 400 has more wheelie tendencies than a 650 when loading into ramps and climbing hills. Make sure you are in low range when climbing to better prevent it. Use body language. If you need to lean forward so your stomach is on the handlebars and your helmet is on the front rack, better safe than sorry. It isn't bad, don't sell it, just be careful.

Adjusting valves? Take the front tires off and inner shield out and see if you can get at the head without removing the front fender (cuz it is a lot of work). Take gas tank off if needed. Unscrew fuel switch before messing with cover plastic.

Protect the shifter from being damaged, you can't buy pieces of it, you have to buy the whole thing at $310. You could disassemble it and have it welded a lot cheaper. Get the plastic part out of it out before anything hot happens to it.

Old 08-30-2002, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 2001 400 4X4 prairie, and the dipstick is really short.yes you will see the oil on the 400
so the oil is going to be way up there, and yes it needs to be screwed in all the way. it takes just over 3.5 quarts to fill the darn thing

Old 09-01-2002, 10:32 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the help everyone. It's almost funny, that some of you guys almost described my bike as if you have seen it. I did have it on a truck with the gas left on, and that may have flooded the base. It has been hit by another quad, and broke the rack. Actually, the front rack is broken off. I was going to look into ordering a new one, but now I think I'll look into getting one off a later 400. The first thing I noticed about this bike, is that it starts easier than any bike I've ever seen. There are several other things you guys mentioned that described my bike to a T. You guys really know your $hit! Thanks again.

Old 09-02-2002, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Derek! Did you buy your quad at Delta on Rothesay Ave.? If so, I would suggest going to Sleds and Treads in Sussex for service. They have 3 mechanics, lots of parts and know the Kawie line very well. Delta, on the other hand, ...

Old 09-02-2002, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have a rear steel rack on my 99 400 4x4 prarie, its a direct and easy swap. I never tried the front rack, it looks ,more complicated. btw, the 2wd come with steel racks, so you might not have to look around too hard to find a used/ totaled quad that would part with the rack. Or maybe just order on for a 2wd. The light brackets gonna be a bugger though.

Old 09-02-2002, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sleds and Treads is where I get my 400P serviced also. No dealer problems yet? NorminN.B.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2002, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

If your oil smell like gasoline, then you most definitely need to find out why, fix that and then change your oil and filter right away. I too have had the problem with leaving the fuel valve on and getting gas in my oil (I let someone else borrow it and they didn't do what I asked them too....). The gas in the oil really thins out the oil and can ruin your engine pretty quick. Change that oil!!