Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Receiver Hitch ATV Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone gotten any experience with a receiver mounted ATV hauler? You know the kind that slips into the receiver hitch on your truck and has no wheels? I have seen several companies that make them now (search the net) and they vary from tilting models, to models with ramps, to one that actually has an electronic lift that drops the hauler to the ground and then after you drive on, it raises up 18 inches. Most of these advertise a weight limit of 750 to 1000 lbs.

I thought this looked like a good idea to haul my 650 out west without having to worry about pulling a trailer, flat trailer tires, fryed wheel bearings, etc. My brother and I did a little research and, being cheap, ended up building one. I used it for the first time on Sunday bringing the 650 home from IA. The thing rode fine, and my truck got 19.3 mpg with the receiver hauler instead of the 15 or so I get when I pull my trailer. (less rolling resistance and wind resistance)

The only disconcerting thing about the hauler is how it allows the ATV to bounce up and down, mostly at slower speeds while hitting city bumps. On highways, it doesn't react that was as much. We used a thick wall 2" square tubing for the center main frame (which I believe all the manufactured ones use as well) which I don't believe will bend, but it is 4.5 feet out beyond the back of the truck and so it will flex a bit. Does anyone have a factory made one? Do they flex as well? Even though I have an F350 Powerstroke, with a factory tow package, I was a bit concerned about the weight. I called one of the manufacturers and they say that they have mounted theirs on a 1/2 ton Supercrew, but that it works better on a 3/4 or 1 ton. When we built ours, we put the 2" tube in the receiver and then put about 600 lbs on it and measured how much it dropped. It went down about 4.5 inches, so we V-cut the 2" tube, bent it up to compensate for the drop, and then welded the tube and put a reinforcing collar over the shaft. Without the ATV on the hauler, (and even with it on) the ATV sits at an angle, but the rear is raised up enough that I should be able to go through a certain amount of ditches or washes without it hitting.

Even with my F350, my hitch is rated for a lot of weight, but with a load distributing hitch. I am putting a reinforcing strap around the end of my receiver to support the rear end and bolting it to the bumper, although I am really not to concerned that the hitch won't handle it. If they mount these things on 1/2 tons, my 1 ton should be able to hold it.

I was just looking for any other experiences with these types of haulers, if anyone has noticed the bouncing, and other experiences. Actually, if it wasn't for the bouncing, I wouldn't know it was back there on my truck. I hauled the 220 Bayou under the topper with a bunch of other stuff crammed in there, and the 650 on the receiver hauler, and the truck was not impacted at all. Mileage and handling were good and the front end was not light at all. Just wondering if anyone else has tried these things?