Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Hot Grips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got me a set of hot grips today. I was wondering where to hook them up (hot wire), and the best place to locate the switch.
Thanks

Old 09-25-2002, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

My dealer put mine on so I don't know where it's wired in. My switch is located in the instrument pod on the backside facing the driver. Seems like a good spot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-26-2002, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

650FREAK
have to remove plastic from instrament cluster.very easy. inside you will find wires .Make sure its wires to ign switch. Have to cut into wire loam( cover)seal with silicone when done installing. I probed wires with straight pen untill i found a hot wire from ign. switch. But make sure it is through switch, as in switch is on power is to handgrips. switch is off, hand grip power is off. Multimeter comes in handy here. I had hooked up wifes to wrong side of switch and it killed her battery one night she left handgrips on . Now i will have to go back in and cure that problem. I drilled a hole for switch through plastic cover a little to the right of instrument cluster. This is easy to install but watch power source.dont remember color of wire maybe brown. Ok everone who has done this speakup now.
Raymond

Old 09-26-2002, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

Got them installed today! They are worth their weight in gold, in the cold. I just cut into the cigarette lighter wires. Pretty easy. I put the switch just foward of the gear shifter. It's out of the way, yet still easy to reach.

Old 09-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

650FREAK
Great idea on using cigerette/acess plug, never thought of that. I often thought that sleds and quads should have extra connections for add on lights etc., That could be hard wired into unit. kawi has rear wire setup , great for backup lights etc., it would be great if they had fusable connection up front. good work on install, your directions will be easer for next guy who trys it.
Raymond

Old 09-27-2002, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

Now that I know what the best way is to install them, where is the best place to BUY them? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Sounds like a great idea, especially if all those'KANUKS" are using them.

Old 09-27-2002, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Prairiepuppy
Anyone who sells sled parts can get them for you, lots of choices to pick from. All have pro's and cons. Do a search on hand warmers, etc we had some dicussions not long ago.
Raymond

Old 09-27-2002, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

Roscoe,

Thanks a bunch. Will do.

PS: Which brand do you use?

Old 09-28-2002, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

Hand warmers great things have to be the second best thing in the world!

Old 09-28-2002, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

Prairiepuppy
I believe mine are kimpex, thin wire grids mounted in plastic film.
Have used this type for years with no problems. They also make a thumb warmer( third best thing). glues onto throttle there are threads on this olso, search under my name to find. Out here we use handwarmers, and thumbwarmers about 11 months of year. We get frosts every month of year.Not complaining i like cool weather, but it is hell on wifes flowers. when installing might as well install both. grips are a pain to remove ,remove with phillips scewdriver between bars and grip.
Alltoys i see you are up late answering the hard questions. Had to stop checking forum to have breakfast , plan on going to blueridge today, i believe i told you that story. Anyway im telling wife at breakfast about your reply. She believes you think just like me ,Ah like sort of twisted. i reply thank you, im finally getting the recognication i deserve.Yes that is the sort of reply i usually think about. By the way aren't you supposed to be building some kind of four wheel missile.Where do you get the time!!
Raymond

Quick Reply: Hot Grips?