Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Tires Again, Help Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nyroc; Claws are about middle of the road on steering feel. Lighter than the stockers and other flat tread tires, but much more stable than Swamp Pros, Vampires, etc.

Slider: Mine is red with the reg. numbers on the front fenders. Right now it appears I won't be at the Badlands real soon as I'm in the process of building a new house and just don't have the time, but I'll be back up soon.

On the tires I mentioned, taller is better. You've got the power.

Old 10-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

Nyroc,
If I understand you correctly you would go same tire all around just different sizes? Makes sense.... by the way you're not alone..., I flipped mine the other day..hit a root cresting a hill. Everyone...NEVER ride without a helmet! I've got a nice gash in mine now. 604 lbs looks pretty scary when it is following you down a hill!

Old 10-07-2002, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Stay away from the AT Dirt Devils, you will loose your precious ground clearance!!!

I sort of run a combo, 26x12x12 Dirt Devil XT on the rear and 25x10x12 Dirt Devil AT on the front. At 4 lbs rear and 6 lbs front (on stock rims) the rolling distance of the two sizes is a perfect match. However you loose about a half inch of GC to the Devils due to their sizes being understated. If I had it to do over it would be 28" rear and 27" front so that I would gain a little GC and have the XT tread all around. If you are going to run stock rims and worry about rolling distance think of running 1" smaller diameter in front, the narrower rim and a couple of pounds make the rolling distance equal out unlike same diameter tires which make the fronts larger than the rears due to the narrow rim.

For your riding style I would probably go with spider tracs all around, I ride nearly the same but spend some time in the mud, rock crawling, and a lot of time in the creeks so the Devils suited me better. Don't get me wrong DDs are a great tire but they do rob some power and it sounds like you enjoy your speed.

Old 10-07-2002, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

Dangerous, Thanks...the Bearclaws are sounding really good. I'll keep my eye out at the Badlands. Good luck on the house. I hope it has special parking space for the Prairie!

Old 10-07-2002, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I do like the speed... actually I haven't found ANY kind of riding I don't like on the 650!

Old 10-07-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

We too have tried some odd combos of tires front to rear and still don't see anything that compares with like tread front and rear for general use. Some combos are downright dangerous. Sounds like Nyroc and I figured this out the hard way.

IMHO The intermediate tires like Bearclaws and Mudrunners seem to be our best buys and most consistent performers. I like 27 inchers with the right air pressures. The all out mud tires need to be used for just that, all out mud.

Best I can figure, it takes 3 sets of tires and wheels to be able to do it all well.

Old 10-08-2002, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

I'm gonna replace the tire B4 I hurt myself again.

If I add 20 more pounds to the 650 with tires, I feel like I wanna take that off soemhwere else. Between an aluminum muffler and me loosing some table muscle maybe I should be able to get 20 pounds off my 650.

I like how it handles now. But when I put the 28" mudzillas on, it really makes it handle bad over 40mph and robs power.

Funny, Dangerous, I've been thinkin 3 sets of tires too.

Old 10-08-2002, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Take a look at the rawhide grips... great tire

Old 10-08-2002, 12:58 PM
Range Rover

PrairieSlider, I put Holeshot ATR radial's on mine and couldn't be happier with the results. It rides real nice, corners nice,tons of traction, almost no weight gain.The only thing I'm not sure about is mud. Like you I don't encounter enough mud to evaluate the tire. radial's are better tires period! I also own a set of 589's that are awesome in mud but that's it. I was not happy with the handling or ride with these tires. I'll sell them to you if you want. Email me for price and size.

Old 10-08-2002, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah Prairieslider, my 'claws are on stock rims. I reaally like the all around performance of these. I will let you know how they do in mud, I am entering in a mudbog contest this sunday. Last Saturday 2 grizz's pulled out the prize money. 1 finished 1st in stock class, the other finished 1st in modified class. The modified one had 26" dirt devils all around, I think that with him on the bike, I am close in ground clearance. I will let you know how I do this weekend and how the 'claws perform in the mud. The pit is about 50 feet long and about 3 feet deep before any ruts. I shouldn't have any problem getting through, but I would love to get through in the fastest time and take the money and the bragging rights from the yammies;-)

Quick Reply: Tires Again, Help Wanted