Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

HEY ALLTOY'S...Couple questions regarding mods.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEY ALLTOY'S...Couple questions regarding mods.

ALLTOY'S:
I read a thread a few days ago and you said you can beat a souped up Banshee in a 300ft drag using your nitrous set-up. While loosing to the same Banshee by 2 quad lengths without nitrous. I have drag raced a few sport quads and lost...by about 4-5 quad lenghts over 400-500ft. I want to show these sport riders who's boss. I am looking to reel them in in a drag and was wondering what is the bare minimum I have to do. Traction is of the loose gravel kind and I have the advantage with hook-up (via 4X4). What exactly have you got done to yours without nitrous. I am ordering the Black spring perhaps today. I also have 26" Kenda Bear Claws on the way...these will help with hook-up as my stockers are nearly toasted. I do not want an aftermarket pipe yet as I am going to try the Nyroc exhaust mod...( Been going to do that for awile now but can't seem to find the time ). I have noticed you wear 28"vamps on your lady...they must weigh alot. How souped up was that Banshee? God isn't it great to own a ute with such potential...drag racing is just one of the things this bike does well. I LOVE IT!!!.

ROB

Old 10-18-2002, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

I'm not Alltoys, but I can tell you what I did to take off 1.75 sec and added 3 mph in a 116 yard run. Big Gun exhaust, Diamond G snorkel, K&N filter, K&N Jet kit, and red and black clutch springs. My brothers 650 used to be faster than mine. Now I can walked away pretty easy. My top speed was untouched at 61 mph with 26" mudrunners.

Old 10-18-2002, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

I agree 100% on the black and RED spring. If you want serious take off power you will definately need the red spring. This is the only power mod on my 650 and dont plan on any more.

Old 10-19-2002, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

Kawirob

Good to see you working on those Banshees, Raptors next. The Banshee I run against is set up for the woods with bottom and mid range power. His is piped, with reads, added compression chamber, 50cc overbore, rapid flow heads and the list goes on. He is ticked I run with him or close by modding a few things.
NO.1 is the muffler I used Nyroc's muffler modd only I went with 12 1/2in holes around the circumferance took out the baffle made a 1 3/4 hole where the baffle used to be. Modding the muffler alone will give you almost 9.5% more ponys absolutely.

NO.2 replace the snorkle this is so restrictive its pitiful you can do it via Nyroc's method witch according to the dyno works as well as Diamond G's I have tried both. DG's is easier to work with and has water drainage this alone helps power by 1.35% not nearly as much as the muffler but significant, this also allows a greater amount of cold air to enter the carb(this is a good thing).

NO.3 this is a dicey issue jets are the next best thing as you moddify you must increase your jet size or risque leaning out the bike and subsequantly damaging the motor. I have found the DJ kit that is most sold the stage one kit is too small. If you are stuck on the DJ system then go for the stage 2 kit. I found personally that the largest stage one jet is one size smaller than what the bike came with in the Mikuni jets. I have gone as large as 195fr & 200r for playing around then realistically dropping down to 142fr & 145r MIkuni jets this gave me the best bang for the buck. Go as large as you can untill you start to overfuel and drop one size down. If you have both makes in your hand you will see a difference in the jets and the needles. Mikunis are abrupt a duller needle allows for faster delivery of fuel to the motor. Dj's are sharper and don't deliver as fast a fuel delivery, a split second slower but in a drag every split second counts.

NO.4 I drilled some holes in my airbox this helps immensly but doesn't work very well when introduced to water, also when you do this there has to be a balance between cold air from the front and hot air coming from the motor. All the warm air in the world isn't going to do as well as half that air if it were cold, more cold better ponys, more warm air less ponys. Drag cars do better at dusk when it is cooler as apposed to mid afternoon when it is warmer.

NO.5 Get EPI's black spring if you wish the red one too. The black one grabs the belt tighter and the red one helps to launch the bike. With the red one, it will engage at a higher rpm so you will have to gauge when it is time to drag. I prefer to go with the black spring and adjustable weights in the clutch and I have changed the angle of the sheaves on the front clutch. I find these combinations give me a higher rpm, better trany engagement for DRAGS and MUDDRUNS. The red is too abrupt for racing with the NOS setup It increases the chance of twisting axles. Not so long ago I melted the rims to my tires and thats before I tried using the black or red springs.

NO.6 I have left this out to last it could be the most important modd you may try. I have installed a set of Dial a Jets. Have you ever heard a bike, quad, car anything that has been modded with all the goodies and when they hit the gas you hear a WA WA sound. You may think this is a cool sound I now I used to love it on an old 327 chevy with the air cover turned upside down and when you tromped it you would hear that WA WA sound with the 4 barrels opening up. The problem is this is the sound a motor makes when it is starving for fuel, yes starving for fuel. Todays carbs are designed for a cetain amount of restriction when you remove this restriction the carb can't adapt fast enough. With changing jets we can optimize the carbs short commings. Now if we install another set of jets that work on the Harmonics of the carb, soon as the motor needs fuel it is right there no waiting for the carb to sense the needs of the motor. Plus it helps immensly when you are either modding your bike or going up to the mountains. Reach in change the jets with a twist of a *** and away you go no more taking the carbs apart everytime you do a modd, what a drag. By the way these jets will give you at least 2 more ponys and you will use less fuel.

I run a 300ft drag only because of the darn CDI at this range I am at full power band not at full speed. After 300ft I think you can appreciate too your bike starts to lose momentum only because timeing is retarded at 5000rpm and decreases up to almost half at 5800rpm. So if you are only 4-5 bike lengths behind at 400-500ft now, you can deliver a blow to these guys ego when you are next to them or right on their heals. They'll ask " What did you do to your machine" especially when they have spent a thousand dollars or more. What I have told you here I haven't spent more than 2 hundred dollars, (except my NOS that's nuts) and gained almost 15% horsepower. The Kawi 650 is the easiest quad and cheapest to gain the most ponys of any bike out there.

Good luck Kawirob PM me if you need any more help. Rocoe69 has seen my Green Machine, he can tell you what she is like and this is without the NOS.

Old 10-19-2002, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Penland cams will make it go faster too. I think Crashryder has them, and they did a lot for bottom and midrange, but the higher RPMs are limited by our special power limiting stock CDI's.

Somewhere, there is am 800cc solution for the 650. That will spank.

Headwork.

CDI willl obviously do a lot too (pray for the CDI).

Old 10-19-2002, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

800cc is toast it can't cool well enough. Talk to Bearman about his 750cc and there is another company who has a 750 out as well.

Old 10-20-2002, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

HI GUY'S;
Thanks for the reply's. I just ordered the black spring on Friday. I will see what that's like next week when I get it. I don't want to go into the engine on the monster...Maybe way down the road...when something comes along that will beat it. Untill then I will be quite content with the cheapo mods alot of you have done. By the way, I ordered my spring from E.P.I....it cost's $25 U.S. and it's going to be shipped via U.P.S. for a total of $40 U.S. I don't know if there will be duty and all that crap tacked on or not. I figure it will cost me $60-$70 CAN. I called RoyalDistributing and they didn't carry it, so I got impatient and ordered direct from E.P.I. The RED spring intrigues me, but I have read many mixed reactions to this. I was also looking into the DIAL-A-JET set-up that Alltoy's has and they are available for the Kawi650. I ride predominantly at 0-500ft above sea level so I don't know if I need all that versatility of the Dial-a-jets, or maybe just simply get a couple factory jets from my dealer as they are only $5-$10 each. I haven't opened up the breathing on my monster yet...she's still starving...so jetting is not needed yet...BUT SOON BABY SOON!!! Also I just read the article about the DUNE PRAIRIE in a mag...They have the original C.D.I. in it for the tests and were VEEERRRY impressed. The machine was very cool looking in the pics. I'd like to take that for a rip! Any Idea how much the C.D.I will cost from Bearman? I'd like to punch Kawi in the face for robbing us of all that untapped power that wonderfull V-TWIN has in her bowels. Oh well, it's still a RIP SNORTING BEAST as it is.

ROB

Old 10-20-2002, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Kawirob

Anything you do to the bike is a definate boost it likes all the modds. One thing at time brings enjoyment, the trill of tinkering and the cost is not that bad. A lot can be done cheaply its a matter of time and skill. Even if your skill is not great then take the time to learn you will have more fun if you understand something before you dive into it.

The EPI spring by the time it hits your door it will cost double only because of the shipping charge and the depreciation of the Canadian dollar. If you have any troubles with installation give me call you have my number!!!