Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota people- whats the truth

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 03:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lakota people- whats the truth

glad to finaly be on here. I have read every scrap of info about the lakota on here for the last 2 months. I have a
2002 lakota sport that I love to get wild on. I have a billion questions about my kota. The first and most important
is that in all of your posts you all talk about power upgrades but when I bought my kota in sept. I liked it so much
I went to my dealer and said how do I up the power? He said dont. The motor on the kota was not ment to be
messed with, if you do any upgrades on it you seriously lessen the the life of the quad!! Even a pipe and jet kit!
I thought that sounded like bull so I asked a machanic I kind of knew and he said the same thing. But all of you
kota owners have done stuff for power, so who is right? I love the kota's versitility and power and size and simplisity and how it easely becomes part of you, but it could use just a tiny bit more horses. But I dont want to
give up reliability for power. I have done just about everything cosmedicly I could, so it looks the part but nothing
performance wise. WHO IS RIGHT!! I have learned alot about the kota and buyou motors but it sounds like you
guys know more. Look'in for answers!!!

HEY GAFF by the way congrats on the bambino!!

2002 LAKOTA Sport (THE GOAT) cause she climes more than she should!
mier race plastics
Renthal bars and grips, 3RD pair
DG front bumper
02 LAKOTA graphics on new plastics
kawasaki nerf bars
kawasaki swing arm plate
and 1 BIG Gass tow strap I use alot!

2002 Honda 400ex
AC front bumper
moose swing arm plate
Renthal bars scott grips

2003 polaris preditor 90

Old 01-03-2003, 05:20 PM
RPM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the main concern is the Semi-auto Trany. My dealer told me that the trany was built to handle just what the motor puts out (Combined with the weight) and not a whole lot more. Still I put a complete Supertrap Exhaust system on and re-jetted it. It definately did respond favorably to this mod. However, we had to put plugs in the air box to allow for more air flow. The factory airbox is way too restrictive. There is a lengthy artical on modifying a Lakota on this website (ATV Connection). Go to their homepage, under FEATURES click on ATV Reviews, and go to the bottom of the page. It starts there.

The only trouble I have had is with the auto clutch pack. That was not a result of the engine mods. I let my nephew take it to ride in the sand, and he ended up laying it over on it's side (I think that it was probably more Upside Down) and the oil drained out of the vent. He didn't bother to say anything and continued to ride it with very little oil in the crankcase. Luckily, it didn't hurt the motor, but it did screw up the primary clutch pack. $300 + later, it is good as new.

Good Luck, I have had a lot of good times riding trails on my Lakota, it's a Great little quad.

Old 01-03-2003, 06:13 PM
Range Rover

So if I did want to modify it should my first step be to beef up the clutch? If so who makes a clutch kit and how shouldI do it? If not what should my first step be to get reliable power without giving up reliabilty itself? I would like to have my kota last a long time but I would also like to eat up a few 300ex's on the way.

Old 01-03-2003, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

Lakota people, COME ON! 42 views and only 1 person has an opinion on modifying a Lakota! How about some feed back? Any one thier?? Is this thing on??

This is my first time on ATV conections, please dont disapoint.

RPM thanks for the response, at least I know 1 person is out thier.

Old 01-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

Go ahead and mod it, you know you want to. I'm going to mod mine - Supertrapp quite, K&N Filter and Jet kit. Search back more than 2 months and you will find replys from Gaff about clutch upgrade.

Old 01-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Lakota pals, I too own a 2002 Kawasaki Lakota Sport-300. One of the best persons that can give you advice on Lakota modds would be Gaff. When I bought my lakota back in Dec 2001 I used it well over seven months stock. By then I had visited several quad sites for advice on modifying it, some said this others said that, but I never heard anyone say what they told you. So I installed a Supertrapp I.D.S2/with header pipe, K&N jet kit/air filter(power kit). The sound of the engine through the Supertrapp exhuast sounds way beater, plus the power kit helped it breath better add it up and you get better performance. Later I installed a Durablue 2+2 axle because I had an accident and broke the stock one, but thats a different story. I also intsalled a 13T front sprocket wich they say gives you more top end, all in all you do fill it stronger than in stock form. Future modds would be sportier tires(still running stock) both front & rear, majier racing body kit, better clutch, and probably some engine modds(if I can find any). As far as the engine giving up or the tranny not taking the modds well, I havent had any of that. But like I said talk to Gaff he knows more about the "little blue mule" (Lakota Sport-300) than anyone I know, I think?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2003, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'd have to agree with the Sport Rider, Gaff is the knowledge base, he helped me through my upgrades. First off, I'd install the K&N jet & air filter kit with the high flow exhaust and 13T sprocket. I used the Super Trapp with all the disks (I forget how many). Just a note: cover the disk screws with neverseize, because those screws are a bugger to get out later. These changes will breathe some life in th the kota.... so much that you'll probably need some better rubber in the back. At this point, the stock ckutch was sufficient.

If you want more, the Four Stroke Tech big bore kit with high compression piston is incredible. I did find the clutch slipping, so I installed two (out of four) stiffer springs, (thanks Gaff), that eliminated the slip yet did not increase the stiffness of the shift significantly.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

I have done the standard mods as everyone else on here with the Lakota and have not had any trouble as far as reliability goes and I have had mine for 16 months now. You will notice an increase in power with the pipe, jet kit/filter, and change of sprocket. I have not done it but have heard that going with a wider axle (or wheel spacers) makes a big difference in the handling of the machine. If you are going to get into some MX racing then you would definitly want to see about a stronger clutch.

Again, like everyone has said the man to talk to is Gaff, as he has given all of us advice on the Lakota at some time or another.

Happy trails,

Dirthead

Old 01-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

Welcome murphyslaw,
Got any pics of your lakota you can post.
Thanks, Lisa

Old 01-04-2003, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

I've been trying to read alot lately but just never find the time to post. I get up early and check things out but the new baby likes me to hold him before I leave for work, so typings tough.

The first step is to get the quick bolt ons. Pipe, jet kit, filter and 13T sprocket was $298 delivered to my door from www.rockymountainatv.com.

On the exhaust disc bolts. The biggest problem you have is you can't remove them when the exhaust is warm, almost always braek them. Use plenty of copper seal, but don't mess with them when the exhaust is warm.

As far as the reliabillity issue your dealer stated upon, they say that about all engine upgrades on all machines I found. I have used and abused these motors from stock to what I have now and never had any problems. a couple times I tore the engine down just to make sure and in both cases it was perfect.

I believe the crank and rod are good for atleast 13.5:1 compression. The cam, timing chain and valve train are exstreamly strong as well.

The tranny is rock solid. As power is increased it is so difficult to tell. The clutch begins slipping and it's very defficult to tell due to how smoothly it begins to slip. I heavily suggest going with a K&G factory clutch. You get heavier clutch springs and kevlar friction disc. While replacing it sand the glaze off the centerfugal clutch drum, get much more power to the ground.

Then get you some tires. The tires graetly inhance it's handling and traction.

well I could tell you a hole bunch but the baby is in my lap and it takes for ever to type this one finger at a time.
try to post later.

Quick Reply: Lakota people- whats the truth