Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lookout for water, especially at night!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 02:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookout for water, especially at night!

Here is my advice, if you are going to cross a body of water be careful who you follow!

Boating Excursion —– On ATV’s!

Picture this: it is eleven p.m. on Friday night. The temperature was 85 degrees and there was no wind to speak of. The hard day’s work was coming to a close and now it was time for fun!
One crazy-fast leader led twelve unsuspecting victims into the night. We were told that our fearless leader would take us on a nice trail ride. We even remember hearing “he knows where to take you, you’ll have a good time.”
The first leg of our journey was down a very dusty dirt road. Taillights in front of us were barely even visible. After a sharp turn to the right, down a fairly steep hill, we thought we saw the reflection of our headlights off of...water? It was the mighty ………… River! Since we were in back, all we could hear was our own voices saying, “Are they serious?” Sure enough, after a few moments of conversing, to our amazement...one...two...no...FIVE quads ventured off of the sandbar and into the river! Did we mention it was 11 p.m.? We were very impressed as the two Prairie 650’s made it across by floating/wheelying through the 250 feet of raging river! Unfortunately, they had to immediately turn around and help the three sport quads whose riders mistakenly thought they were jet skis. Well, five went in, and after a lot of barrel rolls, dunking, and maybe a few four-letter words, five cooled-off individuals came out dragging their waterlogged vessels. We gathered all two of the towropes we had with us and set to the task of pulling them uphill to the road. Luckily, everyone was safe, and the fourwheelers were not beyond repair.
Though not the trail ride we expected, it was still quite a memorable adventure. We only wish we had a video camera to prove that Raptors, Scramblers, Z400’s, and Prairie 650’s, do, in fact, float.
We’ve since told our wreck less leader that we’re looking forward to that trail ride next time! We will be sure to bring our swimsuits and towropes!

Old 01-17-2003, 03:56 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the story! glad it worked out! [i stay home when the sun goes down] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

I stow the bike and sit around the fire, drinking beer, after sundown. Never liked night rides.

Old 01-17-2003, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

I like night riding but only in familiar territory!

Old 01-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

I enjoy riding at night time....but the bad thing is I always have to go out by myself nobody else seems to want to go out in the dark!

Old 01-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

I should add to the story a little it. At the time, I rode a 2002 Rancher and my wife had a 360 prairie. After seeing how well they 650 bounded across the water, I had to have one. Although, my 650 has never been in the water, it was neat to see what it is capable. They are amazing machines.

Old 01-17-2003, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Monte and Mojave.....glad to see there's a coupla more like night riding...i love it...our day rides usually are madness, flyin' around tryin' to hang on most of the time....at night many of us put our girlfriends on the passenger seat and go for a long leisurely cruise...it usually ends up with us haveing a few beer and the women driving...sometimes we've left to start our ride at 9:00 or 10:00 at night.....stop somewhere and light a fire....these excursions have often kept us out on the trals until 4:00 or 5:00 am...an i have to say, even though i love our crazy daytime rides, our night rides seem to be more relaxing and enjoyable....i lvoe them...and if the woman is with me, she can't crap on me for being gone all night!!

Old 01-17-2003, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

I agree it is just hard finding people to ride at night most my buddies don't like riding at night either. The wife has her own so that is some one I can ride wiht but she works every other weekend (which is kinda nice I know I can get out every other weekend with buddies[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

Old 01-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

i love riding at night, i also think it is the most relaxing and enjoyable time to ride, under the stars and the moon, w/ your girl on the back......couldn't get better than that

Old 01-17-2003, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bwarndog21
i love riding at night, i also think it is the most relaxing and enjoyable time to ride, under the stars and the moon, w/ your girl on the back......couldn't get better than that
AMEN Brother!! Nothing like a moonlight cruise with your girls sexy legs wrapped around you!!

Quick Reply: Lookout for water, especially at night!