Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Fired up the Tecate 4!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fired up the Tecate 4!

Well I have been working on my Tecate for a few months now trying to get it together and find parts. Well I bought a freshly built engine from a guy and I just got it into the frame a couple days ago. Well today I went got some plugs and some gas got it all in there and on the first kick it fired right up. It sounds mean. Im not sure what kind of pipe its got looks kinda stock but was told the head pipe wasnt and that the silencer was stock. All I know is that it is loud it can be heard several blocks away. Cant wait to get it all together and take it for a ride. I still need rims, tires, rear wheel hubs, chain, and I still need to do some work on the swing arm and a-arms oh and I cant forget the various nuts and bolts that I need. Anyways just thought that I would share my excitement.

Old 03-15-2003, 11:35 PM
Range Rover

thats cool man.I used to have an 87 tecate 4 when I was about 15.Iwish I still had it but I was young and stupid.Good luck with your project.

Old 03-16-2003, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks I cant wait to get it together. I got to figure out what Im going to do about the a-arms though. Im missing some of the I guess you would call them shims that fit in there. The little things that the bolt fits through. Im also missing one for the swing arm. The are kinda expensive and I think that I may be able to fix the problem with some really strong epoxy. Kinda like JB Weld. I kinda plan on getting some new a-arms on down the road and possibly a new swing arm that is extended a little. Im just trying to figure out a cheap fix. The little rubber seals that fit on all that stuff is trashed also. And that little stuff is expensive. As most of you already know.

I bought this quad originally for 500 buks and that was with a blown engine. Still with all the stuff that I have bought I have less than 2 grand in it. When Im all done on this phase of the build up I will have probably just a little over that. Just cant wait to take that first ride on it.

Old 03-16-2003, 01:55 PM
Range Rover

You might want to look on ebay for some good used parts.I would like to get another tecate4 in the near future if I can find one.I have not seen one for sale in ohio in a long time but I will keep looking and maybe I can find one that needs a lot of work for a good price.What kind of shape was your plastic in?Yhat seems to be the hardest thing to find.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer

he plastic on mine was in decent condition considering it is what 16 years old. It is all there and all I need to do now is mount it all.

Old 03-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Range Rover

Your lucky the plastic is in good shape on your quad.I am currently working on the wife to allow me another quad but it does not look good.I will keep on looking and maybe she will come around.I am thinking about selling my rappy and getting something different maybe a nice tecate 4 or 250r.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

maier still makes rear plastics for the green demon but nobody makes fronts anymore. which when i bought mine i lucked out the fronts were perfect but there is a small crack in the rear.

if you need a arms get ahold of killerkx327 he's probabally youre best bet on parts

Old 03-17-2003, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer

Cool -- good news to hear. I'm getting pretty excited too. Mine is starting to come together pretty quick. At this point I'm just waiting for parts from here and there. My advice would be to get the grease seals and sleeves and avoid future problems. If your bearings are still in good shape then keep them that way. You can cross reference those seals and save a lot of money. Also, you might be able to find some help with the sleeves to avoid paying the dealer prices. Consider yourself real lucky. I purchased my '88 in the same condition -- or so I thought. I was told that it only needed the flywheel/stator installed. Yea, right. I got into it and it needed a ton. I have probably around 3500 into it right now. I had a bad case of the "while I'm here" syndrome. Well, as long as I'm in here I might as well replace this and then that..... The good news is that it'll be better than new by the time it's done.

Old 03-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ringgold - That's really good to hear about your motor firing up. I just took the head and cylinder off of mine to replace a leaking base gasket. I don't do much mechanically so it was a good learning experience. The best part was it started on the third kick. After that it started the first kick every time. The motor is back running strong again.

As for parts, like beasty said, Killerkx is who you want to talk to. From what I hear he can more than handle your motor rebuild needs. I'm keeping mine pretty much stock for now but maybe down the road I'll send it up to Killerkx327's shop to get her worked.

Let's see some pics

Old 03-17-2003, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

I want to know what the best suspension setup is for the Tecate 4? I have heard that they dont handle that great stock.

Quick Reply: Fired up the Tecate 4!