Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Performance Module from Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Module from Canada

I'm just like to hear how well it works and is it smooth power. I do alot of rock crawling and I don't need the front end fliping back on me . Thanks

Old 03-26-2003, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't installed one yet but input from novakaw650 in bridgewater would suggest that bottom end could be quite violent. Probably not the best for technical rock climbing. Go back and check his earlier posts on this in another thread for more info. On a side note, I think he installed a switch to turn the module on and off. Perhaps that might work and you could enjoy the best of both worlds. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

HI GUY'S:
Mine was ordered by my buddy, who was ordering a power kit for his Grizz. I should have it early next week. I was talking to Bernie at Freedom Cycle in N.S. and this is what he said... The Module will increase acceleration by a huge amount! In fact he called it "Acceleration Module"! He said that they had a P650 with K&N air filter, piped with big gun pipe, jet kit and something else I can't remember. All told $800.00 Can(in mods). and a stock P650 with just this module in it, eats it in a drag! He said about 4 quad lengths.! To me thats Z400 territory in my area, and breathing down Raptors necks! He also said that guys have to lean over the handle bars, from a dead start on pavement ,to prevent flipping over! My God what have I ordered?! It's going to be a monster! It already is...but this has got to be insane...I CAN'T WAIT! It apparently takes 12 mins to install and he has wiring info on 2002 and 2003 models. He also said he had 26 of them in and sold all except 4.( well 3 now that mine is on the way) I have no idea if this will perform like they say it does, but if it does...WOW!

P.S. $180.00 Can.

ROB

Old 03-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

I read that someone in here was building these things for about $20 US! They said the plastic box costs more then the electronics because it was only a very simple clocking circuit. This would be OK for a Radio shack trip and a home brew mod, but what about the top end retardation? Anyone have a solution for that yet? It seems like it would be easy to do?

Old 03-27-2003, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

I can rock crawl with mine, no problem. Just don't nail the throttle sharply if you nearly stopped or at a dead stop. If I'm going over 5mph and punch the throttle, it doesn't feel any different than stock. But if you're stopped or nearly stopped, hang on!! If you are on a budget and don't need more top end, it's a great mod. If you have the extra bux, wait and get the new CDI unit.

Old 03-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

HI GUY'S:
Top end is a non issue with me. I have done 104kph and that was enough for me. That was with a dirty air filter and slack belt. I really do not have any interest in doing more than that. Hey "NovaKaw650" tell me more about how you bike performs. Have you done any drags or timed runs to see what you gained? I also do not wish to spend $300 U.S. for the C.D.I (that would probably be $600 can. by the time I got it to the door. I am hoping this module will give me the same boost in the low end as the C.D.I. I do not know if the module will add to the mid range or not...any thoughts?

ROB

Old 03-27-2003, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

The module gained me about 2-3kph in a 250 foot drag. I don't feel any mid-range gain, all the gain is at the launch. The modulator sends out a frequency that indicates the machine is going 26kph which gives a timing advance of 25 degrees (thanks for the specs, Alltoys). Since the 650 can run up to 28 degrees maximum advance, the module could actually slow you down a little at higher speeds. That's why I use a switch to choose between the module and the speed sensor; after I hit 20-30kph, I hit the switch and go back on the speed sensor. From a dead start on pavement or in 4wd on dirt, I can pull 2-3 quad lengths on a stock 650 in the first 40 feet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

NovaKaw650:
Would I need to put a switch on mine to keep the mid-top end? I don't mind losing a couple kph but I don't want to lose a whole lot. Will it affect mid range in a negative way?

ROB

Old 03-28-2003, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Try it w/o the switch....you can put it in after if you want.

Old 03-28-2003, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Where exactly is the CDI box? How do you install it? Where do I get the box?

Quick Reply: Performance Module from Canada