Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Tire air pressure? Bearclaw and rim gap??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire air pressure? How much do you run?

Today I blew the tire from the rim while hitting a rut fairly hard. I have 26-9x12 Bearclaws and was running about 4.5lbs. in it. Here's a PIC of it.. Luckily we were close enough to ride double to a dealer and they remounted it for me. The question is what pressure do you run at.

I was running mine at about 4.5 - 5 for both front and rear.

UPDATED --- See my last post on this thread.... Thanks...

Old 03-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Range Rover

Right around 5. Must of been one hell of a rut.

Old 03-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Range Rover

Are those bearclaws a 6 ply tire?? Most 6 ply tires will stay somewhat stiff enough to limp back to where you need to go. I realize it blew it off the rim and not just put a hole in it, but 6 ply tires can run with as little as 0-2 psi's. I have a set of 27" ITP Mudlites and with 0 airpressure they do wrinkle just a little bit but not very noticible. Sorry about your luck. Must have been one hellacious RUT!!!

Old 03-30-2003, 09:00 AM
Range Rover

I have noticed this on my 25" Bear Claws also, the front tire is not nearly as stiff as the rear, but they are both rated as a 6ply??? Don't get me wrong I really like the tires. They hook up better than any tire I've seen so far on rock, roots and hard pack, and not too bad in mud but I don't get in alot of mud. Over they are a great trail tire but they did take away a little of the sportieness but I ride in nothing but rocks here and I have not had a flat yet with these tires. I run 5lbs in the front and 4lbs in the rear. I agree with STecate925 must of been some bump!

Old 03-30-2003, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I should have taken a picture of it. I started to slide into it so as I did I turned into it and gassed it get over and it hit really hard. Got me out of it though. Good to know about the pressure. I will stay running at the same as I was then. Just try not to hit them as hard. Just didn't want to fall into the rut. It was about 1.5' at least. Would have high centered me.

Thanks....

Old 03-30-2003, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have 26" Mudlites. I was riding a few weeks ago and noticed that it seemed to be pulling to the left a little. leaned over to look at the front tire and it was flat!! Looking it over I noticed that the inside rim had a big dent in it, I didn't remember hitting anything. Aired it up with my 12vdc compressor, still leaking air, but it got me the 10 miles back home. Took the tire off and beat it back in shape..all's well now. I really think I could have driven it home flat, that six ply is pretty stiff. With the stock dunflops I would have been riding on the rims!

Dave

Old 03-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I thought Bearclaws were 4 ply??? Did the ychange them to 6 ply in the last year or so????

BTW, I run 5 lbs in my tires. If I run 7, I get more clearance, but the ride is a little rough.

Old 03-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

Bear claws used to be 4 ply and now they are 6 ply. I went rideing with trailburner yesterday and he has them on his 650. He smoked me outta the hole when we raced. The terrain was loose dirt and some rocks, im gonna get me a set of claws and mount them on my stock rims and my atr's are goin on some c series wheels.

Oh yea i run 5psi in all my tires. Haven't had a problem yet with them.

Old 03-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Range Rover

I have 25" claws and run 4.5 r and 3.5 f, no problems yets.

Old 03-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, the Claws are 6-ply. I was looking my tires over and there seems to be a gap between where the inside of the tire is and the rim. Not much but it is there. I noticed on the tire that I got remounted it is snug against the rim. Maybe the place I had put them on didn't seat them all the way. Or they needed to get broken in to get them to go flush. Don't know yet, but am going to watch it for awhile.

Anyone else notice a slight gap inbetween the tire and rim lip?

Quick Reply: Tire air pressure? Bearclaw and rim gap??