Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bayou 400 problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2000, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I've got some clutch problems with my 400. I've been noticing a chirping sound coming from the motor for the past few weeks when the motor would idle, but it kept running so I didn't worry about it. Well, today, I cranked up and started out the driveway... by the time I hit second gear and third gear, the motor was revving, but I didn't have any pull. I could wind the motor out but I just kept slowing down. I had to drop back into granny gear to get it back to the house. It sure did feel like the clutch, but I'm not sure. Any other possibilities??

Old 05-01-2000, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you adjusted the clutch engagement?

The Bayou 300 has adjustment screws and lock nuts for adjusting the clutch engagement, compensating for wear of the clutch pack; I assume the 400 does also.

The adjustment procedure is in the service manual and the rider' manual as well, I think; if you don't have these references, E-mail me and I'll "talk" you through the procedure.

Tree Farmer

Old 05-01-2000, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I thought about that, and actually adjusted it two weeks ago. Everything ran fine for about a week. Then, last week I had to drag my yard with a rake (I just moved and my yard needed seeding). I did this by pulling a rake on the ground with 4 big cinder blocks on top. So, it took a lot of pulling power. I did this for about 4 or 5 hours. So, I am almost willing to bet that the clutch has about had it. This isn't the first time I've pulled anything like this. I pulled two mobile home axles (w/ the brakes attached) at one time about 1/4 mile a little over a month ago. That's when the clutch first started to seem like it was slipping.

I guess it IS a '95 and I have pulled some pretty heavy-duty stuff... I can't complain though, this is the first REAL problem I've had.

Old 05-01-2000, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all due respect, you may have adjusted the clutch TOO MUCH. A very few degrees rotation the wrong way on the adjusting screw can give you no clutch at all; been there, done that!

I'd fool around with the engagement adjustment before I removed the case cover.

If clutch work is required, you'll need a clutch case cover gasket. Pray the problem lies with the secondary clutch! If your primary (centrifugal) clutch is on the fritz, bring money.

By clever manipulation, the fiber disks on the secondary clutch can be replaced without removing the shaft nut, a task DEMANDING an impact wrench.

My recommendation, do not remove the little one-way clutch for inspection; you're likely to be chasing a bunch of tiny cams all across the shop floor if you do (don't ask me how I know this); then you'll have the fun of trying to line 'em all up again, the way you THINK they went . . .

When I replaced the clutch disks on my Bayou, I used RAD racing disks and extra heavy duty clutch springs from Recreation Unlimited; good service from both vendor and product.

Good luck!

Tree Farmer