Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Please HELP- Problems W/ Prairie!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP- Problems W/ Prairie!!!!!!!

I have had my prairie for almost two weaks now. I have NEVER ridden it hard at all. Is it normal for you to choke the prairie evertime you start it? I live in SO. California, so the temperature is like 70. It will not start without a choke after sitting for a day or so. With my rancher, it just starts the first time. Well, the last time I rode it, I tried to see top speed so I got it up to 60 mph, but ran out of room. I then did not ride it for 2 days. Then, when I went to start it today, it started up the first try, without choking it! I thought it was very strange, as it was the first time. I let it warm up good, and went to ride it. I noticed that it was not revving as freely, and was not accelerating as fast. I rode about 2 miles, then overheat heat came on, and I was not riding hard at all! I was probably cruising at 20 mph! Did I hurt anything my going too fast the previous time? Thank you for you help in advance

Old 05-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like it is running lean. Check the plugs. Rejet. Set the air screws to 2.75 turns out if neccessary. Lean causes overheating.

My 650 starts like the best of them. Cold weather is an easy start with the choke. Warm weather no choke. If yours doesn't start that easy, it needs to be fixed.

Old 05-09-2003, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

You should be able to start yours without the choke but give it fuel when starting. Even in our summers I use my choke and sometimes it will start right up and others it needs a little help. How does your radiator look? is it packed with mud? It also sounds like your choke could still be on a bit when you were riding. The overheat light should be ok, if it started pouring radiator fluid out the overflow be concerned. I find at 30km is the speed the bike gets the hottest other than wide open. You say you had top speed of 60? and how many miles / hours on the bike? there is mixed opions whether or not you should go over half throttle untill the breakin is complete of 6 hour mark or 300 kms. Did it smoke at all?

Old 05-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

My bike has 230 miles, 52 hours on it as of today. I have done all of the required maintenence for it, and has never been abused. I know that it is very important to break in the bike properly, so I never opened her up fully until I had 150 miles on it. I never had enough of a stretch to get it to top speed, that is why it only topped out at 60 mph. Is the prairie suppose to go from 0-50 mph rather quickly, but wind out a little slower? There is never any smoke when I am riding. I just went out and drove it again, and according to the speedo it is accelerating fast, but I guess I am just used to the power now! Thanks for the help guys! Keep the info comming!

Old 05-09-2003, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider

Yup, Kawi is right about the throttle. I always have to give it 1/8 throttle to start, hot or cold, choke or no choke.

I also sortof assumed thaqt the radiator wouldn't be clogged, since you are in one of those "dry" states where people have artificial turf in their front yard. Grass grows here without watering or seeding. Grass just magically happens. Along with grass comes mud, hence the need to clean my radiator after every ride.

Old 05-09-2003, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

big4x4,

0-50 is like a bullet. After that the cdi quickly retards the timing and it picks up like a slug. Mine falls on it's face after about 50 and it takes forever to get the last 10mph. The new cdi will take care of this if it's ever released. As the other guys have stated, check & clean the rad to help with the overheating problem and adjust the airscrews to 2.5 - 2.75 turns out to help with the starting problems.

Old 05-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all of the advice! I will try it later tonight

Old 05-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I too have starting trouble on my 03 Prairie 650 with only 80 miles on it. It was in the upper 60's last weekend in northern WI and I still had trouble. I am NOT feathering it but dam it should just fire up!! Buddies with there machines were giving me sh*t (Honda Rincon, Rancher and Kawi KFX400) Even after getting off only for an hour it starts hard. I found I had oil in the air box. On the bottom of the air filter and about 1/2 way up the foam filter too! So I brought it into the shop on Wednesday. I picked it up last night. They found nothing wrong. They did change the oil. I asked how the plugs were and he studdered some answer letting me know they didn't even check. I asked him where the screws were to adjust the air on the carbs. He didn't konw and had to look it up on a comptuer! So I guess I'm going to back the air screw to shut and open them 2.75 turns and see what happens tonight. What I'm really worried about is starting it this winter!

Old 05-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Needles are lean on a lot of stock machines. That's one reason why mine starts so well.

Due to the compression release system, you need to give 1/8 throttle to start up easy. Learn to do it. Works great, doesn't take hardly any cranking.

Old 05-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks nyroc you are the Master. Now that I suxed up how about another answer?
How loud is your muffler mod? I live on 6 open acres and my neighbors have horses. I'd love to try the mod but am afraid of how loud it would be over stock. I know its near impossible to explain the difference of sound by typing but you are the master! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Please HELP- Problems W/ Prairie!!!!!!!