Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Predator 90 CDI jumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator 90 CDI jumper

I just bouight a used Pred 90 for my daughter and it did not come with the jumper. I would like to know if it is a solid wire or somthing else. Thanks Kevin

Old 10-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

it's a solid piece of metal, not much though. if i were you, i would just use the throttle block. the motor just seems to run and sound better without the jumper.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was going to try it both ways. Thanks Kevin

Old 10-09-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When we purchased our '03 Pred-90, my dealer told "me" to remove the jumper and use the throttle screw to slow it down. Legally, he cannot remove the jumper. He also told me that if I run our quad with the jumper installed and left the throttle screw all the way out, my unit "may" back fire and do all sorts of other weird things - when it hits the 15 mph mark. The reason is, the electronic system is forcing it to stop at a max RPM setting, but your rider's thumb is pushing "more then it can handle" gas through its carb. Instead of leveling out the RPMs, the quad's engine goes into a "forced choke" condition. Almost like someone starts applying the manual choke to it (at the same RPM level). Since I removed our unit's jumper on day one, I don't know if the above is true (or NOT!!!), but it sure sounded good to me. If you are going to use both (re: jumper and thumb control screw for extra safety), ensure your thumb control is set 1/2 way in. In other words, the same MAX electronic & fuel mixture levels it would be at max 15 mph (or what ever engine RPMs that would be). By doing this, it would avoid the accidental "forced choked" like conditions.

Hope this helps...

Old 10-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

If you need a pic from the service manual let me know...I can email it to ya. We removed ours and limit the speed with the screw. just pm with an email address.

Old 01-04-2004, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take off the jumper and leave the throttle stop to the wide open possition, the only thing the jumper dose is faul plugs, the the throlttle stop keeps them from learning how to ride, give your kids some credit they know when they are going to fast.

The following users liked this post:
Bigslim (07-25-2023)
Old 01-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with srpreditor on this issue. On the 50cc predator the jumper just fouled the plugs, I tried cleaning the plug every 15 minutes of riding but it never ran correctly. I removed the jumper and restricted the speed with the throttle screw but it still ran rough. I removed the screw, replaced the plug and let him have it all and the machine is running smooth and he quickly learned to restrict his own speed. I think the only thing the restricter did was teach him 2 speeds...OFF and FULL throttle. John

The following users liked this post:
Bigslim (07-25-2023)
Old 01-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

could someone tell me does the DRR 90 have the jumper on it. i looked at the cdi box and all it has is a screw in the middle of the front. would this be the jumper . i've been trying to find out, but no one knows, and drr will not say. any help would be great

Old 01-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

You might want to put a post for your DRR question It will get looks from others with your quad. There is a guy on here that is well versed on the DRR brand....TRexTommy51 You might want to find him for your answer.

Old 01-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to remove the jumper from my son's 02 Scrambler 90. I have no idea where it is[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Can someone explain in detail? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Predator 90 CDI jumper