Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

E-ton or Bombardier

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-ton or Bombardier

I am looking to buy a 50 for my 6 yr old he has experience riding and I just cant keep him off of the quads, so its time to buy him one a bit safer.

I can get the e-ton 50 for $1600
or the Bombardier ds50 for $1200 on sale,
or a suzuki for closer to 2,000

what is the difference, the better machine, last longer,
the $1200 is normaly a 1600 buy, but they are having a sale (so they say)
he likes the B. ds50 better, but he likes the headlights on the eton

anyone have any advice for this first time kid quad buyer..???
Help please..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
DEb

Old 11-25-2003, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

My biggest beef with the Bombardier was its lack of suspension.It seemed almost rigid on both front and back.I'm more familiar with the 90cc models and the DS90 has a good factory exhaust pipe for power(not sure if the 50 has the same pipe or not).The 50 also seems a little heavy at 228 lbs dry weight.Most 50s are well below 200 lbs for example the viper is only 187lbs.The viper 50 shares all the neat features of the 90,hydraulic brake,horn,lights and brakelights,LED light and great styling and colours(in my opinion).Also the vipers wheels can be reversed to widen the atv out if wanted.I'm not real familiar with the suzuki but it still retains the old design of using the engine as part of the swingarm.This is no big deal if your not racing or jumping it though.I hear they are a little hard to work on as far as basic maintenance but they are also pretty much bullet proof.I personally wouldn't pay that much extra for it though.Take a look at them all if you can and make a list of the pro's and con's of each one.Also don't foget the little ones input as he is the one that will be riding it.

Old 11-25-2003, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

THanks...
DO you think that the E-ton is worth $600 more than the Bombardier.??

I can get it for 1200 with allthe extra costs involved and the E-ton is 1600$ without the delivery and setup, ( bogus charges [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

would the extras on the viper be worth that much in your opinion..

I looked at the DS50 and he likes the looks of it, but he does like the lights on the Viper..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Can I get aftermarket lights to add on the DS50.??

I need one that has less maintenance, and is tough..
Thanks
Deb

Old 11-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

I have to admit that the deal on the DS50 is very good.I don't want to sound like I'm an E-ton salesman but its the only bike that I have had personal experience with.I liked the hydraulic brake because it is much more powerful than cable drum brakes and easier to use for smaller riders whose hands aren't as strong.The lights are a nice bonus when its getting dark out so they can be seen but all of these little mini's are supposedly wired for lights so I guess you could add your own on the DS.The rear suspension is much better on the viper although my 6 year old is light enough that he barely moves it anyway.I guess that in my opinion I think the viper is better equipped but you have to decide whether it worth $600 dollars or not.Actually for $600 dollars you could buy some very good aftermarket shocks(or engine mods when it gets too slow for him) so I guess it boils down to the brake being the only real plus.Hopefully someone who owns a DS will jump in here.If they are reliable (which they should be)it may be the best bang for the buck.I've always had very good luck with their snowmobiles.

Old 11-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you very much !!!
I apreciate any help you can offer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
maybe I should have him ride both.? and check the strength it takes to brake,?
the other thing I like about the Ds50 is it seems much more like the "big ones"
it has a wider base to it, I think anyway,....

I am not mechanicaly inclined **at all...hahaha
so I want to get one that is "easy to work on"..so when I bribe someone to help me they wont complain to much...haha
$600 is alot,
I realy like the Polaris 50 and 90, they have hay racks, and seem to be very well built, but they are $2500 almost as much as a full sized ATV, I think I will go cheaper for a few years and save up the money to buy a larger one for all of us to ride.

Do you think a 150lb adult can ride the 50 ?? not fast or "jumping", but just around the farm, or would it destroy it, the salesman told me a larger adult could ride it with no problem, do you think that this is true.??
Thanks again

Old 11-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

IMHO get a 90, as long as he fits on it. You will be frustrated in a few years because he has outgrown it and doesn't want to ride it. The 90 has much more power and an adult can ride it without a problem, the 50 will struggle, and will feel the abuse eventually. Just limit the throttle until he gets more comfortable riding it. I bought my 5 yr old a 50 last year and already he likes to ride the neighbors 90 better (he is a little taller than most 5yr old though). They are pretty easy to work on if and when needed.

Old 11-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

The only problem is money... the 90 is "regular price" and the 50 is on sale,
I was also incorrect it is the Quest 50 (same thing but camo)

I know its only a $500 difference to go to the 90, and I wish that is what we could do, but getting the money for the 50 is tight at christmas... my smallest just turned 5 and honestly he will be the one riding it the most, do you think a 90 is to much for a 5 yr old.??????

I know legally.... yada yada... but he is a responsible kid, and he is already riding his g-pa's
650 4x4... with supervision, but it still gives me heart failure...(in a family of bull riders, they think everything is safe)
Maybe I should look at the price diference again... regardless, I think the 50 is a good price, everywhere else that have been 1700, its only $1100 for the DS and $1200 for the quest
he likes the quest better, because of the camo....

do you think the Bombardier is a good bike..?? as far as maintenance and lasting for several years..??
Thanks alot...
Deb

Old 11-25-2003, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

The engine and transmission are pretty much the same on the machines you are looking at, so they will last the same. The big difference is in the suspension, and kids are not going to know any better if it is not being raced or ridden hard. The price is definitely right on the DS/Quest. If money is the issue at this point get the cheaper one, the kids will be happy either way. I still have fun on my kids 50 @ 230lbs and the older boys in our group ride it as well, and have fun on it.

Old 11-25-2003, 01:25 PM
Range Rover

Hello all.
Here my $.02 worth..
My grandson has been riding a Scrambler 50 since he was 4.(Don't tell the ATV police). He just turn 7 is ready for a bigger quad.(We are not $$) Six is a tough call. He will out grow it soon but can still get a year or two out of it depending on his size. Like other have said he will enjoy it anyway.
If you can swing it get the 90.

Old 11-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer

Ok so the difference is the E-ton is a better machine.??
but just in the suspension.??
I will call and get "actual " out the door price....OK I called....

maybe I am not on the right track....

Prices after all the stupid charges they add on......
DS 50 $1500
DS 90 $1950

quest 50 $1626
Quest 90 $2000

The local E-ton dealer is runnignn a christmas special of "no set up charges"..
so here are the new prices..

Viper 50 $1750
Viper 90 $ 1950

and a suzuki 80 $2299

Lord help me....
have any advise now..???
Thanks...Deb

Quick Reply: E-ton or Bombardier