Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Pred-90 air intake engineering idea...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pred-90 air intake engineering idea...

Our Pred-90 is still in our local Small Engine Shop to have its WRH Performance Reeds, Oil Injection Removal and single gas throttle cable installed. A few moments ago, I was thinking about air box upgrades as well. Without our Pred-90 in view, it's hard for me to visualize another engineering improvement idea.

With the Pred-90's Oil Injection tank removed, can a sealed flex hose be installed on the carb and loop around the carb to where its Oil Injection tank used to be? In that position, a K&N Filter (with outwear) could be installed and secured. Or, an square air box (like on some adult sized quads) could be installed. In its current oil injection tank location, the air filter would be away from the splashing water / mud and sticks / stones from both wheels.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this idea on their Pred-90 or other different brand of mini??? If this works, a few dealers could make lots of money off this engineering idea.

What do you think about this idea??

Old 03-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see a real airbox for the Pred 90, but I'm no engineer. I'm wondering if you could use the stock airbox and cut a bigger hole for the snorkle. Then you could just fabricate a snorkle with a larger diameter. BTW, I just ordered a Twin Air filter for the stock box. Hopefully it'll flow more than the stocker.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

who's the man? Good thinking spike
just to let you know the parts came in wont have time to work on the brake project until middle of next week
headin out for a weekend ride

Old 03-28-2004, 02:28 PM
Range Rover

Spike I had the same Idea when I was working on Michaels AC. The air box on his only had 1 small intake tube. And the way it is made the tube goes all the way down to the bottom of the air Box.Where the air filter is located. What I did was. I Drilled 2 half inch holes into the top of the air box. I then cut 2 tubes (made from half inch pvc pipe)placed them down thru the top of the air box lid,they fit into the air filter. On top of the tubes I put elbows on to keep mud and water out.I used blue gasket sealer on the top of the airbox where the tubes were placed into the box. Now this thing really sucks the air. But I thought about building my own air box out of pvc plastic pipe. His quad has the long intake tube that goes under the seat. I was going to make a box out of 4" tube they make the conectors to fit right onto the intake tube. All you would have to do is place the end cap on the tube ,put the filter on and then add the pipe and end cap on. They make an end cap that will slip on and the end will screw off . It has a hole in the end and everything.

Old 03-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Bluetickracing,

Thanks for the indepth feedback. I should give it a try and see what happens.... Hopefully, your engineering improvement is a low cost means to make it better. Again, thanks...

Old 03-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

With all of your Air Box intake improvement suggestions, I headed into my garage's attic today and found all sorts of stuff. Deep on the racks was a pipe from the end of an old washing machine hose. It's light weight, was the right diameter for the existing hole, had much thinner walls then the plastic snorkel and had the right bend. With a hacksaw in one hand and some white silicone in another, I made it fit.

For a visual, surf pictures within:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29654978wnGDSy
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29655288mwMqXQ
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29655550kPbbqs
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29655958iCaQAK

If wondering, we do lots of stream and deep mud riding with our Pred-90. A factory airbox is near mandatory on our trails. If it works as good as it looks, I'll replace the white silicone with black silicone - the next time I clean its filter. The best part is, I didn't have to cut anything. If it doesn't work out, I simply remove its customized snorkel and replace with the factory snorkel.

Again, many thanks for your improvement ideas...

Old 03-30-2004, 01:36 PM
geo
Trailblazer

I've fabbed a few top mount intakes, and have had very good results on our Alpha. Mandrel bent alum tubing and CNC machined flange. It'll work with starter in place, but requires removal/absence of the oil injection tank and top motor mount. PM me for pictures if interested. Could be talked into making more.