Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2004 Polaris predator 50 problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Polaris predator 50 problem!!!

I have a strange situation with my son's quad!! He is able to ride for about 15 minutes, and then it sputters briefly and quits!!I put a brand new plug in, and she fires right up and he's on his way for about the same time period, and the same thing happens!! (basically when the quad is cold it runs mint and as she gets hot it dies!! The plugs that I take out look way too lean!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Take it back to the dealer!!!! Is it cooled down before you start it again?? If it is that lean it may be partially seizing! Make sure theres not too much oil being injected, that will leave less room for fuel, and cause a lean situation also. Is it getting fuel at the time it quits? Don't mean to be smart, but its hard to troubleshoot on the internet. Is the coil hot?, theres just too many variables. I spent two afternoons fiddling with my son's quad, just to find out he had a coil wire connector loose.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is right away ,i will change the plug and it fires right up!! A mechanic told me it probably is the coil!! I think my warranty is voided , because i bought it from a private party , and my son is only 4!!! I will contact a dealer, and see about the warranty!! They don't know how old he is!! I'm looking into trading it in for a Raptor 50!! I won't have any problems with a 4 stroke!!!

Old 07-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

juiceman,

Welcome to this forum.

If the "date built" on the quad is within the warranty period, it should still be under warranty. If I remember correctly, many warranties are from "date built" and are not void if the unit is sold multiple times within its warranty period. Check with several Polaris dealers in your area to confirm my understanding.

For the heck of it, check for spark when you change the plug. If it has spark with a hot engine, then its a gas type problem. NO spark means there is an electrical problem. Before you take it to a dealer, you may want to perform a few minor GAS Type inspections / tests on your own. I remember reading 2 previous posts that had simular problems. They would run great for 15 minutes then die. After they changed the plug, it ran great for another 15 minutes. Same symptoms.... Inspect the gas tank vent line on your unit. If this line is pinched, it will create a negative vacuum within its gas tank. During the time to pull its spark plug and put in another, enough air sluck through the pinched gas tank vent line to make it run for another 15 minutes. Thus, giving the impression it was a plug or wiring problem. Also, inspect the gas tank line going to its carb. If this line is pinched, it will reduce the flow of gas into its carb. When its carb bowl is full, it runs great. During the time to pull its spark plug and put in another, enough gas sluck through the pinched gas tank line to fill up its carb bowl again. Then, it would run for another 15 minutes. Thus, giving the impression it was a plug or wiring problem. For the heck of it, check both these lines and give it a few more tries. If that don't work, a dealer visit is probably mandatory.

Note: Don't tell any dealer your kid is 4. A kid's age should NOT matter about the unit's warranty. The warranty is on the unit and NOT on the kid. Yes, you may get lectured but it should NOT void the warranty.

Hope this helps...

The following users liked this post:
Bigslim (07-30-2023)
Old 07-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the insight!! I will look into it today, and let you know how we make out!! I made the mistake of letting my son drive my Rincon!!(with me on the back of course)!! Now he doesn't want to get off!!

Old 07-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went to the nearest dealer on Sat., he ran the vin.# and told me the warranty expired on May31!!! He also told me to check the lines for kinks, which I did and found nothing!! I've only had this thing since Mid March and he only has put about 10 hrs. at the most on this thing!! The original owner , never even ran a full tank of gas through it and the machine was spotless!!(Like brand new)I've never owned a Polaris before and I never will again!! Any other suggestions , before i have a yard sale!!!

Old 07-14-2004, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

- Checked gas?
- Checked for kinked lines?
- Still only runs a short period of time, then dies?

As per your dealer, it could be the coil. For a Pred-90 that had simular run/sputter/stop symptoms, surf: - Press Here -

Of all the previous posts I've read, the Ignition Coil seems to be the least common failure on the Pred-xx line. Most are stator problems. For the heck of it, you may want to replace its ignition coil. This part may turn your luck around.... If you can get it running again, then sell it (if that's what your heart is telling you). You'll get a much better selling price if you can get it running / stablized again.

Note: If you do sell your Pred-50 "as is", please tell the buyer about its current run/sputter/stop engine problem. Wouldn't want a different kid getting a new Pred-50 and be very disappointed within the first 20 minutes of driving it. That would emotionally hurt his heart for many years....

Old 07-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Juiceman, this sounds like a problem a buddy of mine had. None of my fuel lines were pinched but the valve on the gas cap used to vent the tank was stuck shut. I'm not familiar with Polaris quads but a quick way to rule out tank vent problems is to take the gas cap off and try restarting while the engine is hot. I hope this works for you... if not you might be in for a troubleshooting nightmare.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Spike - I love the way you suggest using subterfuge to get past the common sense factor in juiceman getting past the dealer. Sure shows where your coming from and why.

I've found the problem with the ATV''s and people who support violating the rules, laws and recommendations - Its a parental breakdown. The moron chip has become disconnected from the brain box.

Its the old problem of a parent entertaining himself by putting his child at risk for the parents entertainment.

Juiceman - Remove the spark plug and park the ATV in garage for 6 years. 4 years old? you have to be kidding me. Buy a tricycle and a puppy.

According to>
Massachusetts Recreation Vehicle Safety Laws - Under no circumstances, may a person operate a ATV who is less than 10 years of age.

Does this mean nothing to you? What part of under no circumstance eludes your process of good decision making?

Yes there are some who will suggest that putting a 4 year old on a ATV is perfectly acceptable. So acceptable that the State had to pass laws to prevent it. There’s about 10 people who agree with Spiker. Not bad – considering the 1 out of 5 factor of mental illness.

Why not throw Jr. the keys to car while your at it!

And Spike - Get over it. Your dead wrong and you know it. When the light gets shown on your suggestion to be deceitful you’ll run like a rat and delete your posts like you have in the past.

Juiceman – do yourself and your kid a huge favor. 4 is way to young. Just this week I’ve heard of one dead kid and another seriously injured. These power toys are not meant for kids that young.

If you were my best friend - this is what I'd recommend. Oh - wait - I did recommend that to my best friend. Darn - his kids in the hospital from a ATV accident - bummer.

Never mind - nobody listens to me until it becomes painfully obvious. But they are real sorry - That should count for something.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:17 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud
Why not throw Jr. the keys to car while your at it!
My dad threw me the keys when I was about 10 or 11. Good age to start teaching your kid to drive imo.

And think how much easier he'll take to it after practicing on that quad! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 2004 Polaris predator 50 problem!!!