Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

how to wheelie a raptor 80

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to wheelie a raptor 80

hey im 18 and sometimes i like to ride my little brothers old raptor(its just so small and fun!!) so i was wondering what is the best way to do a real good wheelie on it scince it dont have to much power. also whats the top speed on it if there is no restrictor? anything will help

Old 07-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Leave your little brother's ride alone you big bully... seriously, I doubt it has enough power to pull the front wheels off the ground, even if you remove the air restrictor plate. You are talking a great deal of increased power.

You are setting a good example for the sibling aren't you? Wearing all the safety gear and acting responsibly right?

Old 07-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

do raptor 80 have a clutch?

Old 07-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Nope... I doubt you will find any mini that has a clutch. Most are auto clutchs... in the Raptor cases, you can shift gears at any speed without being bothered with the clutch. Most little kids can't handle the riding, let alone using brakes and clutches at that age. One nice feature of teh Raptor 80 is that if you let of the gas, it slows dramatically, almost as if you had applied the brakes. It has sved my son a few times, as he has problems thinking his way through situations from time to time.. especially if it is in a danger situation. His reaction at times is pretty slow... so the added feature of auto braking is a big help.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

well if you can shift then you hold the shifter up with your foot rev it a little bit and then let go of the shifter while the rpms are still high enough and the front should pop up a little bit.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lapeerbanshee
well if you can shift then you hold the shifter up with your foot rev it a little bit and then let go of the shifter while the rpms are still high enough and the front should pop up a little bit.
Yup when you move the shifter to change gears it acts like a clutch until the shifter returns to its normal postion.Holding it up or down should allow you to rev up the engine and then simply release it.Not sure its a great idea but this is how its done on the bigger semi-automatics
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not so sure the transmission of your BROTHER'S machine is going to like having to pull twice, maybe three times the weight it is designed to pull, and have it's gears subjected to such abuse. Just so you can have a few kicks. We used to do the same thing with cars in my younger days... until the transmission blows, or you launch a universal joint... Then my dad would be real mad over losing use of the family car for a week to get it fixed.. and have to shell out a months or more salary to get it running again.

Stick to the machine that is built to handly your riding style and don't break your little brother's machine... You big bully.... Ya gotta love big brothers...

Old 07-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
I'm not so sure the transmission of your BROTHER'S machine is going to like having to pull twice, maybe three times the weight it is designed to pull, and have it's gears subjected to such abuse. Just so you can have a few kicks. We used to do the same thing with cars in my younger days... until the transmission blows, or you launch a universal joint... Then my dad would be real mad over losing use of the family car for a week to get it fixed.. and have to shell out a months or more salary to get it running again.

Stick to the machine that is built to handly your riding style and don't break your little brother's machine... You big bully.... Ya gotta love big brothers...

party pooper.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Here you are sitting there with a super zoot whiz bang Banshee.. and you want to get off on your little brother's 80.. Is yours in the shop or something?. Being a father of two boys seperated by 14 years, I know how these deals work... Big brother has his machine in for repairs, and desides it is time to show little bro how to do things. When things break, you walk away....

Old 07-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Dudes it does have a clutch, but it does not work the same way as the bigger quads. You can't raise ithe gearshifter up and rev the motor, it is not made that way. What the clutch does is slip until it reaches a certain rpm then engages. So when shifting, usually the next higher gear lowers the revs making it an easy engagement. Hold it wide open and shift gears makes for a very rough gear change.
The easyest way to do wheelies is to put your foot in the rear grab bar and stand on it then just goose it. All I've seen have been able to do this whith my fat butt on it. (Thats how I've loaded the frontend into pickups) Your asking for trouble though if you think you can keep doing this over and over! Chances are the rear end will give out before anything else will, costing quite a few bucks to fix.

Quick Reply: how to wheelie a raptor 80