Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Whats the best mini for MX????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 02:32 PM
sam
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best mini for MX????????

My son had a wal mart 90 rode the pee out of it, but its not good for jumping their just not for that abuse. He wants to race and Im a little mift on what to get. a trx90 lt80, or another. I know ill need to do mods like suspention pipe carb work. Im curious what any one is doing.
also any one ( or know where to go) put a kx 65 or a kx 80 in a blaster,300ex frame or any other quad and use that ? any help would be great.

he is 8, and rides the next door kids 250ex like he stole it!
Sam

Old 08-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

It depends on how many modifications you want to make.If you want to stick to a near stock bike the Predator has a decent stock suspension, still not great for racing but alot better than some.The Kasea models have very strong front A arms and spindle knuckles and a tough rear swing arm if big jumps or a heavy rider are in the plans.If your rider isn't too heavy and your gonna do some heavy modifications(A arms shocks etc) any of the popular models will do.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Many States are updating their youthful ATV operator laws becuause of the reported increases in child ATV accidents.

You should be aware that its illegal for a 8 year old (anyone under 10) to ride a ATV anywhere in Michigan - this includes private and public property.

Check your state laws as some of these violations of a child on a ATV can effect your own drivers license and auto insurance rates.

check out this link http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...l#Restrictions

Criminal penalties range from a misdemeanor to a felony. Civil penalties can range up to $500.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:23 AM
sam
Pro Rider

WhoDat.....,
your scaring me LOL. Im aware a little, the site you posted was helpfull. He might not be able to even race untill hes older. I see your credits as a instructor, what is your experience seeing kids riding do they seem that competent on atvs. my son rode that walmart atv since he was 4 till he was 7, crashed maybe twice. the klx hes got 1 yr he has crashed maybe 10 times. you see what im getting at. but i gess us as consumers dont protest these unrealistic limmits we go to live w/ them.
if I dont get him on one for the experiance he wont be able to compete as good when he gets older. hes alot more confidant on the quad ( maybe thats one of the problems) than on his KLX, but hes crashed more on the bike where he hasnt on the quad.
most of the races I would enter him in would be fair races, I think they are more lax on the laws for kids ages. I do agree on getting a training cetf. B4 they are aloud to race/ ride. but the age requirements/ limmits are foolish. JMO

Old 08-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry,
but it IS legal to ride an ATV in Michigan [at any age] on private property as long as you are doing farm related work operations.

A very OLD[1991] and outdated Michigan law states that you can legally ride an off road motorcycle at ANY age as long as you have proof that you've been thru a State certified ORV safety Education class and are under the direct visual supervision of an adult 18yrs or older.However,you may not ride an ATV under the age of 10 unless you are on private property while performing farm related work operations.When you are 10 and 11yrs old,you can operate an ATV on private property owned by the parent or gaurdian with an ORV safety certificate and visual supervision of an adult .12-15yr olds can operate an ATV on our public trail system with an ORV safety certificate and visual supervision of an adult.

Now this law is about as RIDUCULES as they come.It OK to put 8yr old Joey on a 2 wheel offroad cycle as long as he's certified and under the direct visual supervision of an adult while he's riding,but dont put his twin brother on his 90cc 4 wheeler under the same and similer circumstances???BS

I've been doing ATV safety classes in Michigan for going on 4 yrs now,and I have certified MANY youth under the age of 10...The chance of you getting a ticket or harassed by the DNR is very very slim as long as you can prove that your youth has completed an ORV Safety class and is under the direct visual supervision of an adult while riding his ATV.The DNR realize that this law is old/outdated and are preety cool about it.

Bill
Michigan ATV Safety Association-Program Director/Instructor
ATV Safety Institute Instructor
Bombardier 2-up safety Instructor
Haynez2@aol.com

Old 08-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

Heres one for you,

In Wisconsin, it is illegal for a child to race any atv, unless it is over 48 inches wide.(not sure of the age restriction, I think its 12) So, the loophole in this law, and we have done this also, is to tiewrap a pool floaty noodle to the back of the quad. This for some reason makes it legal. The local drag races we attend require you to bring your own noodle. Isnt that funny. They recently tried to change this law in Madison, and it failed.

Gary

Old 08-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud
Many States are updating their youthful ATV operator laws becuause of the reported increases in child ATV accidents.

You should be aware that its illegal for a 8 year old (anyone under 10) to ride a ATV anywhere in Michigan - this includes private and public property.

Check your state laws as some of these violations of a child on a ATV can effect your own drivers license and auto insurance rates.

check out this link <a href="http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-73699--,00.html#Restrictions">http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...ions</A>

Criminal penalties range from a misdemeanor to a felony. Civil penalties can range up to $500.
SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN !!! NO ONE CARES WHAT IS LEGAL OR NOT!!SPECIALLY IF YOU ARE THE ONE SAYING SO!

Old 08-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Killerex,
I got news for YOU son,its JERKS just like YOU that dont give a damn about the rules and regulations of our sport that screw it up for the vast amount of riders that do abide by the ORV laws of their State.And if I ever caught up to a rider with your attitude on the trailway,I'd set your butt straight in a heartbeat.You have no right to do whatever you want on any trailway.

I think you owe a fellow instructor a HUGE apology for your rude comments.

Bill
Mich ATV Safety Assoc-Director/Instructor
ASI Instructor
Bombardier 2-up Instructor

Old 08-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Range Rover

I have one word for all you snivelers MOUTH . If you are going to run your mouth out of place be prepaired to have it shut

The question was not what is legal or not it was and I qoute "Whats the best mini for MX????????"

Old 08-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

As a ATV Safety Instructor,this guy has an OBLIGATION in ANY forum with ANY topic to help assist users in doing the right things in regards to our sport,even if it means going away from the topic of conversation for a moment.

If we had more folks like him and less like you,our sport of ATVing would not be in the mess it is currently in with regards to all the restrictions we have placed against us.

I wish you well with your sport and please abide by the rules of the land.The FUTURE of our kids riding will depend on what we do now.

Bill
Michigan ATV Safety Association-Director/Instructor
ATV Safety Institute Instructor
Bombardier 2-up Instructor

Quick Reply: Whats the best mini for MX????????