Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

eton clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eton clutch ?

does anybody know how to get the clutch to stay in a lower ratio we do alot of trail riding with lots of sudden hills don't need speed till we are on a open area, tight trails he needs the pull would a differant Torque spring help with this Thanks to all !!

Old 09-12-2004, 10:53 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eton clutch ?

Lighter front variator roller weights will cause you to turn more rpms.

The rear clutch springs affect the stall speed. The rollers affect the rpms after it gets going. You'll probably want both.

Just got through doing these mods myself! Well worth it!

Old 09-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default eton clutch ?

We just did some experimenting on our Viper 90.With only 3 rollers instead of the normal 6 the thing would take off like a rocket.The 3 stock rollers were not enough wieght and the bike would over rev before it would shift up but with a light rider like mine (50lbs) it wouldn't have needed much more wieght to work very well.Depending on how heavy your rider is you might get away with just rollers.The stock Viper 90s rollers are just under 8 grams each.

Old 09-12-2004, 11:28 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Default eton clutch ?

I think Billy sent me 5.5's for mine.

Old 09-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default eton clutch ?

I'm running 12's in my sons, only 3 weights not all 6 maybe I should drop the weights down ?

Old 09-12-2004, 11:47 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Default eton clutch ?

6 grams should be pretty good (though I'd get different ones and run all 6). Is it going 20-30 feet then taking off? If so, that's could be your stall and you need clutch springs.

Old 09-13-2004, 06:16 AM
Trailblazer
Default eton clutch ?

Raptorleg , I don't understand how you adjust your front vario.Can you explain me how you do ?
Correct me if I'm wrong but to change rollers weight for a smaller one is the same as change the torsion spring for a stiffest one ? no ?

Old 09-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer
Default eton clutch ?

what is stall speed ? is it the speed that the quad stops moving at or starts moving at ?

Old 09-13-2004, 10:38 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Default eton clutch ?

The rollers are in the front variator. Different rollers affect the rpm's.

The springs (3 total) are in the rear and control the rpms at which the clutch shoes engage. By increasing the stall, you increase the rpms you are running at take off. Sort of like reving a manual. Most people add a stronger spring behind the clutch too. This pushes the 2 halves together and helps prevent belt slippage (I think this is also the one tonnerre is referring to as it can also bump the rpms up.

Did I say that right Yeller?

Old 09-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default eton clutch ?

Yes raptorlegs that sounds right to me although I've only played with the variator so far and haven't got into the clutch yet so you probably know more than I do.In theory I would have thought that a stiffer rear torsion spring would have a similiar effect as using lighter roller wieghts as it would make it harder for the rear clutch halves to shift open,thus holding it in low gear longer.However anything I have read says that this spring is just for grip on the belt like raptorlegs said. Glassman can you be more specific with what your problem is?What size is your engine,what mods if any, and how heavy is your rider? 12 grams x 3 is 36 grams which should be pretty light for a stock machine when you consider our stock 90 setup wieghed in at nearly 48.When we used the 3 stock rollers which wieghed only 23 grams it actually raised the stall speed as well.I never tried any hillclimbing with it just acceleration across our lawn.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Have you snipped the green wire on the cdi yet?If not putting in the lighter rollers would probably put it against the rev limiter almost immediately.

Quick Reply: eton clutch ?