Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Good quad for 12-14 year olds

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good quad for 12-14 year olds

I just saw an Alpha Sport (same as a Polaris) 180cc that was fully automatic. Not that expensive either. Maybe you could look into something like that.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:51 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I admit I have a hang-up with the 250ex because it's an OHV. It's slow too though. I think the z250's sohc has more potential.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Range Rover

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Yamaha makes a 125 Breeze which is an automatic.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

Do they still make the Breeze? That's not a bad idea but I havent seen any recently, maybe Motoworld doesnt sell enough of them. I was hoping to spend only around $1500 or so. Most of the 250's go for $3000 used and 3899 new in this area.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:24 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'd have trouble getting a full-sized Kazuma on ebay for $1500.

How about the Polaris Phoenix? Has anybody seen one? Are they too small?

http://atv.polarisindustries.com/atv...C-431F552F6B85

Phoenix 200 features

Rugged, 4-stroke, air-cooled Polaris 200 engine.

World’s best-selling automatic transmission (CVT).

Tough, low-maintenance shaft drive.

Dual A-arm front suspension with 7.0 in/17.6 cm of travel.

Tough Swing-arm rear suspension with 6.5 in/16.5 cm of travel.

Split front and rear hand brakes with auxillary rear foot brake.

Forward/Neutral/Reverse.

Electric start with kickstart backup.

Full floorboards for easy use.

Lightweight, easy to handle.

Full skid protection.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

we have a Yamaha 125 breeze (in '04, they became the mini-grizzly, but the drive train is EXACTLY the same as Breeze). this is a good quad for them to learn to accelerate, steer and brake without having too many things to think about.

we also have the LT160. for speed, it blows away the breeze. more complex with 5-speed. it seems light enough, with lots of power.

both are good units, but i think you'll be looking for something slightly used.

it's nice if you get the properly sized/matched atv. The 160 or breeze they should be able to lift outta a jam. the others might be too heavy. my 9 y/0 can ride my 450 Kodiak fine, but that doesn't mean I let him. it's just too big and heavy.

Old 09-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

I looked at a Yamoto 150 yesterday. Size wise I think it is great. The seat height, handlebars and leg room were excellent, but the quality is really lacking. It looks home made and fragile. I would be afraid to take out to Ocotillo Wells. I would rather have a 20 year old Honda than a 2004 Yamoto. I guess I will have to save up and pay for a good quad.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

I think the lt 160 is the best choice and I don't need to give my reasons for it, because others already did. Of all the quads I have owned the 160 believe it or not has been the most bullet proof totally trashed and been rode hard and put away wet. As for the Breeze it is now called the Grizzly 125. BTW the 160 was trailrode with my 300lb butt on it numerous time at capitol forest and was able to still able to complete the task.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

Ditto on the LT160. My daughters been riding since she was four, we got a LT160 for her last spring that she now rides. Plenty of power, adjustable throttle and a little room to grow. Remember not too many years ago when this biggest ATV on the market was a Honda 110 3 wheeler, and we used to think those were sooo cool. Now if it won't pull a Mack truck through a mud pit going mach two we aren't interested. Technology is great!

Old 09-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

er uh Raptorflash, you didn't indicate the terrain you would spend the most time in, and the capabilities and fear factors of your girls... I believe a lot will depend on how the machine will be ridden and where.

The breeze/reborn mini grizzly is a dependable choice.. and may provide a little more bar/peg clearance than some of the other mini's available. Yamaha's mini's tend to be a bit larger in size than some of the others, and the mini griz will fit that category nicely.

The blaster is an excellent platform, as it produces an acceptable amount of power that is forgining enough for beginners and you can increase the engine size later when their skills improve, and if they require it. Although the blaster does have oil injection, I'd suggest youhave the dealer convert it to premix... Also, the latest versions finally have disk brakes on them... and they can be had at a decent price. There are all sorts of aftermarket parts for them too.

Honda also sells an entry level machine in the same category that is quite well received... the one problem with this class of performance ATV's is that they will need to learn how to handle a clutch and shifting right off the bat. That can prove to be a problem in the beginning.. so have a lot of patience and don't take them to a place where they will be involved with a lot of other riders until they become more familiar with all the controls.

Lastly, please make sure you get them all the safety gear available. Helmets/gloves and goggles are not enough. If you can't spring for the gear, or get them properly trained.... find another sport... Your daughters are too precious to have them get hurt because of it.... or lack there of.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Good quad for 12-14 year olds