Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

eton viper 90r or polaris sportsman 90

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default eton viper 90r or polaris sportsman 90

Many dealer's won't "negociate" the base selling price over the phone. Some will but many won't. As a suggestion, visit each dealer with "cash in hand" and negociate directly with the dealer's manager - not the "on the floor sales rep". By reading the manager's facial expressions, you can determine if they will "wheel and deal" a little lower. If other customers around the desk (within hearing distance), the manager won't deal. Ask if you can move your negociations into his office, put the pile of cash on the table (to show you are serious), then go from there. If he/she won't lower their minimum selling price, then start asking for "other things" to be added. For example, youth helmet, whip flag, extended warranty, etc. etc. at no additional cost. You may not get a huge discount on the base price but the "other things" will make up the difference....

If you don't get a "good feeling" on how the negociations are going, simply put the cash back into your pocket and walk-out. And yes, do "walk out". Since there are so many dealers in your area, you can do more negociations with a different manager. At my AC dealer, I walked out and almost got back into my car before being called back into the manager's office. If you walk, don't turn your head and looked behind you. Walk like you mean business. If wondering, my actions saved me over $2,800 (for my adult size quad) on that "you can do better or I WILL walk" action...

Hope these suggestions help....

Old 11-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spike99 - Thanks for the information, I will call and check availability and colors, then drive there with cash in hand to deal. Thanks alot for your information, I found it very helpful.

-lohman

Old 11-26-2004, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just got back from looking at a few E-tons.... this dealer had E-tons and Xtreme. He was selling out of the Xtremes, said had to many broken frames, it appears Xtreme switched somethings in manufacturing to China, and he said they are not the same quality they used to be. So he has ramped up his E-ton line. Got to sit on all models, even their Utility 90.

My son like the Viper 90R the best, really liked the horn, backup beep, and other safety items. Seemed like they were put together pretty well. I hope rockettmom lets us know how the pickup of their 90R went today. As far as prices, I have gotten 2100 firm, 1999, and one dealer quoted 1800 plus 50 to assemble and prep. The cheapest dealer is about 3 hours away, but might end up with my business.

-lohman

Old 11-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

We're going tomorrow morning to pick up the Viper 90R. I'll definitely let you know. My dad grew up on a farm having owned quite a few quads. He is very impressed with the ETON. He really likes the back brakes. One thing we're not nuts about is the automatic choke. However, I think we can add a manual choke. Anyone know the answer to this?

Old 11-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

rockettmom, I guess with the holidays my days are screwed up. I knew you were going Saturday, I don't know what I was thinking??

What color are you getting ???

I think it is a manual choke also, but I did not pay attention this morning.

-lohman

Old 11-27-2004, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

The Viper definetly has a manual choke.Make sure you figure out which way is on and which way is off and you won't have any troubles with it.About the only complaint I have with ours is the reserve in the gas tank doesn't seem to work.Ours is a very early 04 unit so maybe E-ton has addressed this problem on the newer machines.Even without the reserve it will go along time on a tank of gas.After we ran ours for a tank or two of gas it began to start and run much better as it broke in.Its been a very good quad for us.

Old 11-27-2004, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info on the choke. That's good news. Lohman, we're getting black with yellow. That was our son's favorite. I guess it looks tough! I'll let you know about the quad. We feel like it's a good choice. Hey, way to get that low price! It pays to make a few phone calls doesn't it?

Old 11-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

Here's the update on the ETON. We didn't buy it! We drove two hours to go and purchase it only to find that it continued to die after we would try to go from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. It would change from forward to reverse without dying if we didn't put it in gear. But, if we drove it at all, stopped, and then tried to change to forward or reverse it would die. We decided it wouldn't be a very smart purchase. Has anyone else had this problem? We went back and purchased a slightly used 2004 Yamaha Raptor 80 and feel very good about our purchase. It felt like comparing apples to oranges! I'm sure I've just opened a can of worms!!!!! comments anyone?

Old 11-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

It sounds like the idle was set too high. The CDI will not allow the machine to be switched from forward to reverse UNLESS the rear brake is engaged and the engine Rev's are below a certain point. This is a safety feature as well as an engine/tranny protection feature. The E-Ton 90 R is a little more complicated machine that the regular Viper 90 but I've seen a bunch that have been sold to customers and once the kids get the hang of switching the Forward/reverse they love them.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2004, 05:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a Viper 90r in April for my grand daughter, and have had no complaints so far. We just ride the forest service road, as I've not gotten her confidence up enough for the trails. I've been impressed with the contruction of this quad. I bought this quad over the raptor 90 for several reason, Reverse, quality, safety features, and price ( the local yamaha dealer will not deal on anything).

I agree with the comments about the rpm's having to be low before shifting into forward or reverse. This is a good safety feature and once the kids figure it out it's no problem. It is fun though to watch her shake her head at herself when she forgets.

The two stroke engin has it's own advantages and disadvantages, but I would buy another one of their products in needed.

My only complaint is the lights, or lack there of. But I'm working on that.

Quick Reply: eton viper 90r or polaris sportsman 90