Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

yamoto 50 review

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yamoto 50 review

Hello,
Some of you may remember a year and a half ago my post about being extremely dissappointed with my 2004 Raptor 50 purchase. This post was probably the first and longest running Raptor 50 post on the net. While doing research trying to find out ways to improve the Raptor 50, I found out about these Yamoto quads. I have recently opened up an Auto Sales business here in Madisonville, KY, and I decided to pickup the line of Yamoto ATV's. Since deciding to carry the Yamoto ATV's, I have no need to modify the little Raptor 50 anymore. I have also found that since I sell the Yamoto's, I will never find a buyer that will give me what I need to payoff the little Raptor 50. (Yamaha Card Mistake.) What I have found is that by having the Raptor 50, it gives buyers a great comparison to what a person can go buy for 2000-2300 at the Yamaha Dealer, and what a buyer can purchase for 1100-1500 from their Authorized Yamoto Dealer. I will probably just hold on to the little Raptor for that reason alone. I got my first Yamoto 50's together today. My Brother and I decided to do a little testing and comparisons. The Yamoto 50's were extremely impressive. I was surpised that they seemed just a little faster than the Yamoto 70's that I have in stock. The comparison between both of the Yamoto's and the Raptor 50 was a Joke. The Raptor would be a great bullet proof yard machine for the ultra beginner , but the buck stops there. The Yamoto's just simply offer more bang for your buck. The Quality of the Yamoto ATV's seem to be improving with every shipment I receive. There are still several little quirks that your Authorized dealer has to take care of during the assembly process. It seems each size of ATV has their own little things to watch for. Overall workmanship however is exceptional. We are also doing an initial breakin run, oil change, fuel fill, and adding the Zmax additive to the fuel and crankcase as a start to their new 5 year engine warranty. I know this info sounds extremely bias, since I am a Yamoto dealer, but I am genuinely excited to be able to offer these quads. My 6 year old is pretty excited too.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:33 AM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!
Default yamoto 50 review

Have you had the chance to compare to the other lines of youth quads, or just the Yamaha? I E Eton, Kasea....

Old 12-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yamoto 50 review

Unfortunately, I have not compared the yamoto's to anything but themselves, the yamaha, and a 3 year polaris scrambler 50. I can say that the Polaris Scrambler 50 had the softest most confortable suspension of the 3 brands.
D.G.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yamoto 50 review

When you say each size ATV has it's own little things to watch for can you be specific on the Yamoto 70cc?? I just bought one for my son. It is from the latest USA shipment..it is the brand new style that actually has a clutch.... to put them in Neutral.... my husband has it all together and it is great but we noticed that the front left side tire was monted on the rim with the fill tube towards the inside......the rest all face out???? Have you seen this on any of yours?? Should we worry about it or just leave it alone? Thanks

Old 12-29-2004, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yamoto 50 review

That is funny, one of my 70cc quads came in with the same problem on one of the front wheels. I have read that some people are purposely turning both wheels around to have the valve stem on the inside. I believe this gives the quad a slightly wider stance. Generally wider is better. I however chose to go ahead and fix mine back to the way it was supposed to be. Be careful if you decide to move the hub assembly to the correct side of the wheel. The nuts holding it on are fairly soft, and since they are extremely tight, you can easily round them off. D.G.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yamoto 50 review

If you have bought a mail order Yamoto, there are a few more things that you need to watch for. Sometimes you have to add an extra washer behind the castle nuts that hold the wheel hubs on. If you don't, the cotter pins do not set down into the castle nut slots. Without the pins being in the slots, the nuts will loosen up. If is a good idea to tie up some of your loose wiring with wire ties. Especially the headlight wiring. It is a good idea to locktight everything. If you don't locktight everything, at least locktight the wheel castle nuts, and any visible bolts, screws, or nuts that attaches the plastic to the guards. Yamoto recommended that I verify the oil level, then run the quad for about 10 minutes. After this, drain the oil, replace with new oil. Add Z-max additives to the oil and fuel. The brake light was staying on on one of my quads. I found that their was an adjustment nut on the rear braking mechanism that needed a little adjustment. On some of the first quads I received, the frame's bumper mounting tabs didn't line up with the bumpers. I had to bend the bumper to get them to fit. If your mounting tabs are off, Don't just try to just tighten the bolts down to get the bumper to line up with the mounting tabs. The bolts will stip out. My last shipment had this problem fixed. If you are assembling a Yamoto 50, there is one wiring connectior beside the fuel petcock that doesn't have a locking pin on it. The connector can come apart causing your quad to either mis or not run at all. I recommend using a couple of wire ties to hold the connector together. One quad I assembled had a small plastic sliver between the fuel tank and the petcock o-ring. This was due to drilling the holes in the bottom of the tank for the fuel pickups and petcock valve. The sliver was causing fuel to leak around the petcock were it meets the bottom of the fuel tank. I just had to remove the petcock, clean the mounting surface and re-install. I believe Patriot Motorcycles new Yamoto dealer network will help drive quality improvements for these affordable youth quads. If you are buying from an authorized local dealer, these concerns should already be addressed before you take delivery of your quad. D.G.